hth 3 in 1 chlorinating skimmer tablets

raidencmc

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2011
Cochranville, PA
So I have half a bucket of hth 3 in 1 chlorinating skimmer tablets. And I was looking at this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34052-Question-regarding-HTH-quot-3-in-1-Chlorinating-Tablets . In the thread they mention not mixing with Trichlor. But is it safe to use with regular bleach? Out of curiosity if it is not tremendously complicated what causes the combination of Trichlor and those tabs to possibly explode.

If deemed safe is there a way to tell how they would affect chlorine levels? How long they would last and how much chlorine they would release at what rate? Or would I have to just give it a test and record my measurements.

You can use all the various forms of chlorine in the same pool. You just should NEVER put them in direct contact with each other.

PoolMath can tell you what they will do the water at the bottom. The dissolving rate is more a function on how you put them in the pool ... and I think cal-hypo dissolves much faster than the trichlor tablets.

Make sure your CH is not too high before adding more CH.

You should only use them if your CH level is low enough to add more Do you know your CH level? It doesn't evaporate, so whatever you add will stay there. While low CH is no problem with your pool, high CH can still cause scaling, and you can't use a wire brush on your walls.

Because my pool is small and my well is awesome I drain and refill every year. So after I fill I will check my CH and make a decision then. I tested my fill water about a week ago and it had no CH in it so I guess I am ok as long as use the tabs for start up and vacation.

HTH 3 in 1 tablets contain copper, which we recommend avoiding. The amount of copper is fairly small, so if you want to use them up that is not such a big deal, but if you are ever buying any more for some reason get a different brand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.