how often should i be cleaning my salt cell??

Jul 20, 2013
Tucson AZ
so i have a hayward swim pure plus T-3 swg, and the problem im having is that im now having to clean my cell almost every 5 days. when i test my water for salt with test strips i get a reading of 3700. after cleaning my cell and installing it my swg reads 3700-3800 but after 4-5 days the salt level drops to under 2700 and thus stops generating clorine. the cell is only 1 year old . i know the water here in AZ is very hard (dont know if that has any effect on the cell or the problem im having)
my clorine is fine and my ph is @ 7.6

any input would be appreciated.

Post up a full set of test result.

The only reason to have to clean it is if you can see white scaling on the plates. I think that Hayward (like their other units) will throw a "check" light every 3 months or so reminding you to inspect the cell. I don't think there is any way that you are developing a scaling problem every 5 days.

Now there's something I wasn't aware of Jason. Thanks for the info. I figured they would develop some "stuff" and 'scale" regardless just due to electricity passing over the plates like a battery.

ok so here are my numbers.
fc 1.5
tc 1.5
salt 3900
ch 800 i know this is the problem , and i know i have to dump my pool. checked the water from my hose and its only at 200 ch
cya 200
ta 90
ph 7.4

now by question is since my pool is concrete, is it safe to dump all the water without damaging the concrete? i will probably dump it at night should only take a few hours and then refill it

How did you get a CYA of 200ppm? Clearly your FC level is WAY WAY too low for that CYA which is WAY WAY too high.

The high CH and if you let the pH get at/above 8.0 is what can accelerate the scale forming.

I have completely drained 2 pools in Tucson with no issues, our ground water is deep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.