Ready.....Set.......Build!

Mar 27, 2014
Imperial, CA
I'll use this to document my pool and patio build in Imperial, CA.

it's a 32' x 16' rectangular pool with an 8' long 2' jut out for a bench, and another 4' x 4' jut out for a stepped entrance. It will be 3 1/2'-6'-4' depth.

Here's the equipment, coping and plaster:
Hayward Aqua Rite 40k swg
Stonescapes mini pebble plaster finish. (Color tbd, think this decision is almost made)
Pentair intellibrite colored light 12v
Travertine coping
Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump
Pentair 60sf fans plus DE filter

All comments welcomed, anything stand out wit the equipment or anything. Wish my yard was bigger, not leaving ourselves much grassy area.

Oh yeah the pictures. Here's a couple computer renditions. The coping isn't accurate, but you get the idea.
I wish my background was that too, I'm in the middle of a neighborhood. Permits should be applied for in the next couple of days. That black rectangle area is just a flower bed.

Re: Ready.....set.......

Also forgot to mention that the decking near the fence is raised 18 inches because I currently have a small retaining wall there. My back fence is a culdesac, no house behind me, and it's slightly higher than my yard. My current retaining wall will be continued from where the decking ends.

First hiccup, originally we had a verbal with the city that we could obtain a waiver to build within 3ft of the back fence. City code calls for 5ft, we believed the property behind us was owned by the city. The inspector looked further into it and it is private property. Now finding out if we can get an agreement with the property owner to get a waiver, or the city may make us push it back 2 feet, agreement or not. Hopefully we can get an answer tomorrow.

My yard is not very big, so if we have to move it I may have to do some modifications to the design. I believe it has to be 3' from the patio also, I can't remember the measurements and how that will affect everything.

I'm going to run the waterline tile up to the top of the wall. Haven't picked the tile out yet.

The guy in the city we have to talk to is out today. I'm a little worried about having to deal with extra city red tape and delaying the start of the build.

If we pushed it back 2 feet, the entrance steps would be 4 feet from the end of my patio. Does that seem too close? Code says it's ok, I'm just wondering functionally. Also my planter box loses 2 feet in length, not that big of deal.

Benefit of pushing it back, the rear deck that's raised goes from 3 to 5 feet. A much more reasonable size to put a lounge chair or something on.

Looks like it will be a beautiful pool. It would be cool if you had a waterfall or some sort of fountain or two coming out of that wall.

Why did you pick 6'-4" for the depth of the middle part? It is too shallow to dive, and I'm just wondering if you might be more happy with something along the lines of 5 to 5 and a half feet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I figured it gave a deep enough place to throw things that the kids can swim to the bottom and get. Plus both me and the wife are 5' 11", so I wanted a place we couldn't stand. Our kids are on the taller side too. It's 3 1/2' on one end 6' in the middle and back up to 4' on the other end.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought about the waterfall, but with the patio and pool, we are close to our budget level so didn't want to add many other expenses.

I misread the depth. I thought you were making the middle 6 foot 4 inches, and that seemed a bit odd to me. I have read that some others like the sport depth, which is 5'-6" in the middle, if I remember correctly.

Quote:"Thought about the waterfall, but with the patio and pool, we are close to our budget level so didn't want to add many other expenses."

Choices, choices...it's going to look great even without the waterfalls. Our waterfall has a little leak at the moment so think of it as one less headache to deal with if you don't get one. :)

Somehow I posted something twice? I'll just edit this and use it as a response.

That's a good way to look at it CCisotope. Other than that, I kind of wanted to keep it as clean and as simple as I could. Didn't want it to get to busy with water features, the yard is small enough. Ok, ok that's how I tricked myself into not spending extra money.

Permits were submitted today. Let's see how long this takes, as soon as the plans are approved the PB said he can start excavating the next day. Have to remember to take before pictures, nothing to it really just a rectangle yard. I'll try and get them up tomorrow.

I'll see if I can get the PB to throw in those mountains for free.

Good news is that the permit was approved today! Only one day, wow!

The plan is the PB will start prepping for the dig tomorrow and start digging tomorrow.

And the before pictures.

Those A/C units will be relocated.

Yeah not sure what I'm going to do there, I have the same thing in the other back corner of the yard. No one behind me at least . That corner is going to be cement, I may attach a sail to the fence and patio. I'm in the desert so you can always use the shade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.