New Re-Plaster

Mar 26, 2014
Mesquite, Texas
I have a 20 year old pool that was just remodeled in North Texas, and the last several years the pool has been taken care of by a pool service company. I am not going back to the pool service company and would like to maintain with advice from this site.

The plaster is an aggregate mini-pebble. I have been running the pool 24/7, testing the PH daily (and adjusting if necessary). Brushing once a day, twice on the weekends. Three trichlor pucks are in the chlorinator; however the chlorine is minimal, circulation is awesome. I'm supposed to brush the pool, keep a good eye on the PH, and not shock for 30 days. We have had some rain so I'm concerned about the lack of chlorine in the water.

Two questions.

I cannot get a clear answer as to how long I am supposed to run the pool 24/7.

After 30 days, I believe I get the CYA up and then move forward with the TFP method.

Am I on the right track?

(PS, I will get my signature line completed before my next post!)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you are not seeing any dust when brushing, then I would think that there is no need to keep running 24/7. I think that is much more important with plaster pools.

I would get the CYA up now and start maintaining recommended levels of FC. Although you have to somewhat follow what the plaster guys told you to do to maintain warranty.

Have you already ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits?

That combination should get you by. It is important to have good numbers for the CYA and FC and CC. Hopefully the ColorQ will do well enough for the pH, TA, and CH.

Always interesting to see comparisons ... so please post up how your ColorQ and the FAS/DPD and CYA tests compare.

Welcome to the forum. The best thing you can do to help yourself with the pool is learn the fundamentals. Once you have them down, the rest is easy.

Take a look at the ABC's first, then the rest of Pool School as you can absorb it. Enjoy the forums.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.