First time pool owner - what is this stain?

Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
So I bought my first house (1960's with a pool!) late last October - just in time to get the pool winterized and covered up. It was stained but I didn't really have any time to work with it. I took the water to a local pool store to see if it needed anything. Everything checked out OK and the chlorine was way high. The previous owners probably had it SLAMed to make it look good for the sale since it was too cold to swim anyway. So partially drained it, blew out the lines, etc and covered it for the winter.

Now that it's time to start thinking about opening it but I would like to get this stain taken care of first. The pool is concrete floor and steps with a vinyl liner on the sides. On;y the concrete portions are stained. The liner looks in good shape except it's bleached a bit. I've tried the Vitamin C trick as will as the chlorine tablet but neither does anything to the stain. I did, as an experiment, try pressure washing a small portion of the step (since the water level is low) and it did seem to help a little. It would certainly be a huge pain to do the whole pool.

Here are the best pictures I could get last night.

http://imgur.com/x30Hrqx.jpg
x30Hrqx.jpg

http://imgur.com/jKA1Z4y
jKA1Z4y.jpg

http://imgur.com/AW9iiLW
AW9iiLW.jpg

I was planning to drain and acid wash it but doing research this winter I'm scared to drain a pool for fear of it floating out of the ground and apparently draining a vinyl liner pool is also a very bad idea.

Any ideas what caused this stain and what to do about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How long did you leave the Vitamin C and the tablet on the stain?

Note, I made your pictures show up ... take a look how I did it so you know next time.

I believe your walls are fiberglass and not a vinyl liner.

I believe your walls are fiberglass and not a vinyl liner.

You very well may be right. I really wish I had some more time to get familiar with the whole pool before winter hit. I'm looking forward to doing all that this summer though!

Admittedly, this is a bit of a head scratcher.:scratch: It may be a top coating of a non-slip surface with a high sand content. I have seen that done before.

Yes it is, lol. What are the realistic dangers of draining an (apparently) fiberglass pool and doing an acid wash? People drain their pools all the time so maybe I'm just worrying too much. I'd really like my pool to stay in the ground, though. :)

You don't want to fully drain a fiberglass pool. If the water table is high it can pop out of the ground, and if the water table is low the soil pressing on the walls without the counterbalancing pressure from the water can cause wall damage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.