Why is my filter pressure so high?

cottielee

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Fontana California
My filter pressure was about 26 PSI and I finally had a day off so I decided to clean my cartridge filters. I gave them a 2 hour soak in TSP and rinsed them off. They looked pretty clean after the washing and they seem to be in good condition. After re-installing them my pressure dropped to 18 PSI.

I have a brand new The Pool Cleaner and a Pentair Rainbow Kreepy in line leaf trap that was sitting in my garage that I had planned to install after I cleaned my filter. I have a dedicated suction port and installed the cleaner the same day I cleaned the filters. The cleaner seemed to run okay the first day but it still needed to be dialed in so it would clean my entire pool and climb the walls.

The next day after running the cleaner about 2 hours I noticed it had stopped moving and my filter pressure was up to 28 PSI so I switched the valve back to the skimmer and main drain only. The pressure remained high at 28 PSI. I also noticed that there was air in the leaf canister.

Today I tried The Pool Cleaner again after removing the air from the leaf canister and I noticed my pressure was back down to 18 PSI. I switched the valve back to skimmer and drain to check the pressure and the pressure went back up to 28 PSI.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Do I need to clean the filters again and possible soak them in Acid?

Please advise.

Also what size filter do you have, it may be doing its job, and is just undersized for your pool so clogs up rapidly if you have something trying to start growing in your water. In addition to the question on how does your water look, Have you tested your water lately, particularly for FC, CC and CYA?

What does your water look like? The filter may be just doing is job if you have algae.
Water looks clear. I hope I don't have algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what size filter do you have, it may be doing its job, and is just undersized for your pool so clogs up rapidly if you have something trying to start growing in your water. In addition to the question on how does your water look, Have you tested your water lately, particularly for FC, CC and CYA?

How do I determine the size of my filter. All I know is I have 4 cylindrical cartridge filters. I test my water every other day. I will test it again tonight and post the numbers.

Can you run your system with the filter cartridges removed? If you can, this can be a quick test for cartridges that need replacing.

It will be fine. The only time there could be issues is if you have a dirty pool and were running a pressure cleaner or water feature that could get clogged by small debris with there being no cartridge installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The point here is the pressure is higher than expected, opening a waste valve between the pump and filter (which hardly anyone actually has) would lower the pressure at the filter.

I checked the side of my filter housing and it has a sticker indicating I have either a 320, 420 or 520 sq foot filter. :confused: I have been looking to see if my particular model is identified somewhere but as of yet no luck.

My last two water tests are as follows

4/1/14 @ 8:15 pm
FC 4.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.6
CYA 35 (this was tested on 3/16/14)

4/4/14 @ 9:30
FC 4.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.8

I don't know how valid my test results are today because I discovered my pump turns on but no water is circulating. When I went into the backyard I noticed the skimmer lid was off, the basket (that I have a small rock in) was pushed way up near the opening where the weir is and the valve was no longer centered in the bottom of the skimmer. I asked my wife if there were any pool gremlins (nephews) in the backyard yesterday and she said not that she was aware of so I am not sure if anyone was back there fooling around with the equipment. She also said that she was hearing a loud noise coming from the backyard but did not go to investigate. My guess is the loud noise was coming from my pump??? When I turn it on now, it hums along and isn't loud at all, just no water is flowing.

Is my pump dead???

False alarm about the pump being dead. TI thought I read somewhere that my pump is supposed to be a self priming pump but I decided fill the pump chamber with water from the hose then try to restart the pump with the air bleed valve opened on the filter and voila......circulation restored!:)

Can you run your system with the filter cartridges removed? If you can, this can be a quick test for cartridges that need replacing.

I removed the cartridges and my pressure now reads 21 PSI.

I put the cartridges back in and the pressure is back up to 27 PSI. So now I have two more questions:

1. Is 21 PSI with no cartridges indicative of a problem?

2. Are my cartridges okay if they only raise my pressure by 6 PSI?

I also found out that I have a 420 Sqft. filter.

Does your gauge work correctly? You said the pressure was 18psi after you cleaned the carts, but now 21psi with no carts in the filter ... I do not think that is possible if all the plumbing was left the same. :scratch:

That would be a third question. lol. I have not done anything to the plumbing other than switching the water intake from the skimmer/main drain to the "side suction port" (I am uncertain of the correct term), switching it back and adjusting the flow rate of the float valve inside the skimmer.

I did notice that when I would bleed out the air from the filter the gauge was not tight. In other words, not only could I turn the gauge to release the air, the entire gauge would also rotate.

Do I need to apply some type of compound to the threads of my gauge and tighten it somehow?

I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance. This site is an invaluable resource!!!

I bought and installed a new pressure gauge and air relief valve. Filter pressure now reads 25 psi. Maybe this is okay. In a couple weeks I may give the filters an overnight soak in TSP and see if there is any difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.