Charlotte NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC36 / ESC8000
Little history first. Kept pool open over winter. SLAM and shut down after temp dropped below 60. Set to run 1 hour per day and freeze-quard. Took a look yesterday, and notice a few green spots on bottom. Water stayed clear all winter. Test yesterday afternoon:
FC 0
Ph 7.2
CYA 30
Temp 60.1
Pretty happy with that, so thought I would catch it before any issues started. Brought salt to 3100, bleach to ~15 FC, ran pump for a couple hours to mix. Woke up this morning to a GREEN pool...... Off to work and deal with this afternoon. Tested as:
FC 12
CC 0
Still green... Added bleach tonight to take it to FC 17.
Started thinking today, (in itself a dangerous place to go), and thought either I caught it as it was starting an algae explosion, OR, copper, OR, whatever you guys may come up with.
This is my third year on TFP and no algaecide in at least the past 2 years.
Just wanted to know if this is NORMAL, or possible something else.
Planning on keep at shock level until I can do a complete SLAM, brush, and filter hard over the weekend,
Your expert thoughts please!!!
This is the best site ever and has always given me great results!!
Thanks in advance!!
Sami

Thanks for the reply Richard. This is the first year I have opened that the pool was NOT a swamp. Guess I was a bit shocked to see it turn green with bleach addition so quickly! I'll just go after it like you said by filtering and keep the SLAM going. Will keep you guys posted!!
Thanks again,
Sami

Identical situation in my pool. It's the chlorine addition that is making the temporary color change.....ignore it.

The blast of chlorine precipitates a little iron (yellow) into the pool which when mixed with blue pool water gives you green.

I simply pretend it doesn't exist. The pool will almost surely return to a nice blue as soon as you let your FC drift back down to normal range.

Drove me crazy the first two years but now I just live with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.