Need instructions for Aquachem 6 way test kit (CYA TEST)

May 29, 2007
Central VA
I am still awaiting my Taylor test kit, and I really need to know my CYA level now. I got my hands on an Aquachem 6 way kit with the stabilizer test. I don't have any instructions though. It's the kind where you try to see the black dot at the bottom of the tube. Thanks.

Every CYA test I have seen is mix equal parts pool water and Reagent. let it sit a minute or two and slowly pour into tube until dot disappears. Then compare height of water to incremented numbers on the tube to get CYA level.

haze said:
Every CYA test I have seen is mix equal parts pool water and Reagent. let it sit a minute or two and slowly pour into tube until dot disappears. Then compare height of water to incremented numbers on the tube to get CYA level.
The aquachem test is identical. fill the large vial with pool water to the first line marked alkalintiy test or hardness test and fill it to the second line marked stabilizer test with the CYA reagent. cap and shake for 30 sencods and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. It takes a while for this test to fully develop and many people just don't give it enough time.. Shake again and slowly pour it into the CYA view tube until the black dot at the bottom disappears. Read your CYA level on the side of the tube. This will use 20 ml of CYA reagent and give you a 40 ml test sample. You really don't need that much to make this test. I would find something to measure less of each as long as you have equal amounts of pool water and CYA reagent and your sample is enough to fill the CYA view tube. 12-15 ml each of pool water and reagent is MORE than enough to do the test and you could get by with even less if your CYA is on the high side. The important thing is to use equal amounts of pool water and reagent. I would suggest using one of those graduated cups that you can get at the drugstore for cough syrup to measure out the water and reagent.

waterbear said:
haze said:
The aquachem test is identical. fill the large vial with pool water to the first line marked alkalintiy test or hardness test and fill it to the second line marked stabilizer test with the CYA reagent. cap and shake for 30 sencods and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. It takes a while for this test to fully develop and many people just don't give it enough time.. Shake again and slowly pour it into the CYA view tube until the black dot at the bottom disappears. Read your CYA level on the side of the tube. This will use 20 ml of CYA reagent and give you a 40 ml test sample. You really don't need that much to make this test. I would find something to measure less of each as long as you have equal amounts of pool water and CYA reagent and your sample is enough to fill the CYA view tube. 12-15 ml each of pool water and reagent is MORE than enough to do the test and you could get by with even less if your CYA is on the high side. The important thing is to use equal amounts of pool water and reagent. I would suggest using one of those graduated cups that you can get at the drugstore for cough syrup to measure out the water and reagent.

Suppose you didn't let it sit for 3-5 minutes (since the instructions say shake for 30 seconds then test)... Are you likely to get a high or low reading on CYA?

Rangeball said:
[Suppose you didn't let it sit for 3-5 minutes (since the instructions say shake for 30 seconds then test)... Are you likely to get a high or low reading on CYA?

It will read lower.
Here are the instructions from my AquaChem kit word for word (complete with original mispellings!):
1. Fill vial marked 'Stabilizer Test' with pool water to the first line which is marked 'Alkalinity or Hardness Test Line'.
2. Add satabilizer (sic) solution, filling vial to the test line marked 'Stabilizer Test'.
3. Cap dispensing vial and shake for 30 seconds. Wait 2 to 5 minutes before proceding with test. (emphasis mine)
4. Slowly pour mixture into C.A. View Tube until black dot on bottom of tubeis no longer visible when looking down through the mixture to the bottom of the C.A. View Tube.
5. Read ppm of Stabilizer from values on side of C.A. View Tube.

The instructions clearly say to wait before testing. (And it's a good idea to give the vial another quick shake before pouring it.)

Ok, walmart sells both aquachem and HTH kits. the HTH kit is actually a taylor kit. Waiting the time is still a good idea for full precipitation of the melamine cyanurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.