CYA (as in see ya later pool store)

Jan 17, 2014
So, last week, I bought granular shock and more tablets...then I remembered the BBB forum, and did my research on pool school. Ordered my kit on Amazon (through the link), it should be arriving today. My tablets in my chlorinator are almost gone, so it's BBB for me!
Decided to return the 15 lbs of tablets I bought. (Already opened the shock and used the one...so i'll just hang onto the other 4). Guy at the store asked why I was returning and I said I was going to use just liquid chlorine (bleach) - he looked at me like I was crazy. "You need more than just liquid chlorine", and hinted at some other stuff. "so you still want to return this?" I said "yep" - he decided to ask one more time. Yes, please.
Headed to Aldi after that and got a 4pk to get started. Thanks everyone for your help, i'm sure i'll have questions soon lol.

You made a good choice :goodjob:
Although you should have got the TF-100 ;)

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you when you start asking questions.

You probably will need more than just bleach. But let's see some tests to be sure.

That is the point of the method here.... test, calculate, add as required, test again to verify.

I use primarily bleach (actually liquid shock which is 10% bleach) and acid. Plus an occasional dose of calcium increaser, cal-hypo, or tablets when such use is deemed acceptable based on testing.

Here's my info from my first test. Kinda overwhelming. I have about 3 tablets left in the chlorinator. Maybe need to turn down the flow from a 4 to a 3.
What should I do?

12,000 gallons
5.4 FC
7.4 PH
80 TA
340 CH (maybe I did this one incorrect? )
50 CYA
pool 78 degrees

you wont regret your decision to go BBB. And for me, bleach has really been all I have needed. I added borax at the beginning of the season last year when I first set up my pool. when I closed last year, I brought it to shock level with bleach and covered it. Opened it last week it had 12ppm FC in it and she was crystal clear!!!

everything is right on the money and I have only added 20 oz of bleach per day. pH at 7.7, CYA a bit low at 35 ppm for a pool in full sun all day, but im going to wait til water temp gets up and retest.

- - - Updated - - -

also, you dont need the TF-100, while im sure its nice, the K-2006 kit is fine and will test everything you need.

Awesome. Glad BBB is the way to go. Should I add baking soda to get my TA up?

Good to hear on the kit. Felt like Bill Nye the Science Guy on the first go-round

Last edited:
You will just run out of the CYA and FAS-DPD reagents quickly with the K2006, which is one reason why we recommend the TF-100.

But the tests are identical and both use Taylor reagents.

And leave the TA, it is perfectly fine where it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a vinyl pool the CH and the test for it is relatively unimportant.

If you have a plaster pool, then the CH becomes is very important, so learn how to test and trust the CH test if thats the case.

Here's my info from my first test. Kinda overwhelming. I have about 3 tablets left in the chlorinator. Maybe need to turn down the flow from a 4 to a 3.
What should I do?

12,000 gallons
5.4 FC
7.4 PH
80 TA
340 CH (maybe I did this one incorrect? )
50 CYA
pool 78 degrees

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.