Black algae on fountain

MDP

May 17, 2013
I started servicing a new salt system pool. It has two fountains; one of them looks perfect, but the other one has black algae. I tried to brush that with little luck. Can anybody please recommend any chemicals and/or anything else on how I can remove this algae?

Thanks and appreciate your kind feedback.

Removing black algae will take equal doses of patience and persistence. If it's just the fountain, you can apply some chlorine and then brush the area. The brushing is just as important as chlorine (FC) in removing black algae. The brushing is necessary to remove the protective film that black algae forms in order to protect itself. Removing this film will allow the FC to work at killing the algae. However, I would test the pool water and post those results. It very well could be that algae is hiding somewhere else in the pool. Be sure to check behind pool lights and around ladders as these are some of algae's favorite hiding spots. Do not bother with algaecides of any kind. They are useless once you have an algae outbreak.

Once you post some test results, we'll take it from there. Also, a pic would be helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.