Pool Opening - where to start?

Aug 21, 2011
Ct
Sorry for the newbie question but I want to know where to start when my pool gets uncovered in three weeks. I purchase the recommended TF-100 test kit but am not quite sure of the sequence of tests to perform. For example, do I start with the alkalinity and then FC etc.? Is there anywhere this procedure is posted already? TIA

Is your pool up and running? Always circulate the water for 30 minutes or so before you test. Take your pool sample about a foot below the surface.

The sequence is not at all critical. I would suggest you do them in the sequence on the instruction card and post your results.

Do you have a good grasp of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

My pool will up and running in three weeks. I have read all the basic information and have a reasonable understanding of the chemistry and procedure. I'm just a little confused about the sequence of the tests and the addition of the chemicals. For example, do I try to address the alkalinity and then add bleach to boost the FC? Can I do these simultaneously? That kind of stuff.

Like Dave said, do the tests in the order of instructions on the test kit.

Your question about what to adjust and when is a little more difficult, because it depends on what your results are. I was trying to write a general answer, but I came up with too many caveats, so I can't really even do that. If your CYA level is sky high, you'll have to drain. If you have to SLAM, the process will be slightly different that if the pool is clean and you're just opening.

Sorry we can't give better answers, but we definitely don't want to tell you to buy something, only to find out you don't need it. I guess you can have bleach on hand, cause you'll need that no matter what. If you want to be ready, you can price and source muriatic acid, granular CYA, and baking soda. Don't buy anything yet, but if you know where to get it and what the best deal is, you can get it fast if/when you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.