Green Patches in Northern NY

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
New Member, I've done a lot of reading/learning over the past month+. I have not yet converted to the BBB method because I have a stockpile of supplies left from when I bought the house last year and from what the pool store told me I needed – ie (stabilized chlorine pucks, pH +/-, granular shock, etc……)

Bought the TF test kit, tested the levels, all seemed pretty good over the past month with the exception of an annoyingly high CYA level ~ 75-80 ppm (Stabilized chlorine pucks) which is causing me to keep my chlorine levels at +/-7 ppm. Thanks for all of the knowledge and help!

Now here’s my problem - After what seems like weeks of rain, I took off our solar cover Sunday morning and saw a few isolated green patches on the walls and bottom of our pool. Immediately vacuumed the areas to waste and tested the water. Pre-Shock test results:

pH – 7.4
TA - 120
FC – 4.5
CC – 0.0
CYA – 75-80 ppm
CH – Did not test but has been in the 170 ppm range.
Temp - 81

Shocked the pool last night with granular shock and made my first mistake of not testing the FC levels last night. However, this morning there was a noticeable amount of brown/milky solids which had settled overnight and some milky cloudiness to the water. I proceeded to test the chlorine levels and the results were

FC - 19 ppm
CC – 0.5 ppm
Temp - 78

Vacuumed the pool, went to work and tested the water during lunch

pH – 7.6
FC – 14
CC – 0.0
Temp - 79

The pool is still a little cloudy but I guess this is to be expected.

Here’s the question

If the CC level is now zero, does this mean that the FC level is not strong enough to kill the growth, or does it mean that the growth has been killed off?

I’m sure there’s info that your missing so let me know and I will get it as soon as I can.

The CC level doesn't really tell you anything.

To figure out if there is still any algae growing, test the FC level in the evening, test it again first thing in the morning, if the FC level remains the same, or is within 1.0, then the algae is dead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.