Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp Pump Leak

RussH

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Central AL
My 1.5 hp Dynamo pump is leaking where the pot mounts to the pump housing when the pump is off. The picture below shows where it is leaking. What holds the pot into the pump housing? The pot looks like it is sagging a little. Is there a way to tighten it from inside the pump housing. I have a new o-ring for the pot to housing joint and also for the pump housing to backplate.

Thanks,

Russ

pump.jpg

This pump is pretty well used up. The bearings are noisy on a cold start, I have had to replace the power cord due to damage and today the power switch lever broke off when I turned the pump on. Fortunately it broke in the on position, but cant turn it off without killing it at the breaker. I am not wanting to spend a lot on a replacement. A Pentair 1.5 hp like it or a 3/4 hp are about the same price. Would I likely regret stepping down to 3/4 hp? I get the feeling it makes too much flow now. The only thing I can think of that would be impacted would be vacuuming.

Russ

Unless you get tons of leaves a 3/4 hp will do a decent job vacuuming. Have you looked into the 1 hp 2 speed pump? I have one that I run on low for everyday filtering and high for vacuuming.

I had looked at the 3/4 hp 2 speed, but the 1 hp 2 speed may be a better choice.

Everything I've seen says that it ships without a power cord. The cord I got as a replacement was a Pentair number 79137800 3 ft standard cord assembly. Any idea if that will work with the 1 hp, 2 speed pump?

Does the pump have an off switch at the pump like the 1.5 hp single speed?

Thanks,

Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair's web site says it doesnt come with a cord, so I called Pentair and they say it doesnt come with a cord or a switch.

So, I would have to wire it. All I have at the pool is a 110V GFI outlet in some form of weatherproof box. I also have an Intermatic P1103FE timer in the circuit inside the house. I can put a GFI breaker in the breaker box for the circuit and put whatever type switch is required to operate the pump in the weatherproof box at the pool. I still need a way to turn the pump off at the pump for maintenance.

What kind of wiring connectors does the pump have on it? Spade connectors? Pigtails?

Here's the 110V outlet. I cant find and brand or model numbers on it. Is there a way to mount a standard light type switch in it? Would this Leviton 1286 be the correct switch type?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=1286-W&section=41455&minisite=10251

box.jpg

Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.