Suggestions needed SQ1152 replacement with a variable speed pump

dimbmw

Sep 7, 2012
Hi

It would be great to have an advice on the possible upgrade of my old SQ1152 pool pump with a variable speed pump.

SQ1152 is a 10A pump and the only reasonable 10A option I found is Hayward SP3400VSP. It looks like it is made of black plastic on the pictures, so I wanted to look for alternatives. Pentair Intelliflo looks better but it is 16 Amp - I don't want it, I am only considering 10A pumps. Of course I understand that the oversized pump can work, too, at lower frequencies, but I don't want to put an oversized one anyways.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

SQ1152 is not a pump, that is a motor. What pump do you have? What is its condition? What is your cost of electricity? Is your current motor 115V or 230V?

You may be better off just getting a new 2-speed motor for your existing pump (assuming you have 230V at the motor).

I am not sure why you are looking at amps ... that is not typically the parameter that is of interest (except for wire sizing).

I will be replacing my old pump as well along with the old motor. I need a new permanent magnet variable speed quiet pump.

I am looking for the same amps ratings because at full speed of the new variable speed pump I would like to have approximately equal flow rate with my old SQ1152.

SQ1152 is a 230V motor.

Again, what pump? The motor is only part of the story to know what your pumps performance was. And the the amps have nothing really to do with what the flow rate of the system will be.

Why do you think you need a VS pump? Is your pool the temp AG pool listed in your signature?

Just no reason to spend the extra money if it does not make sense.

Again, what pump? The motor is only part of the story to know what your pumps performance was. And the the amps have nothing really to do with what the flow rate of the system will be.

Why do you think you need a VS pump? Is your pool the temp AG pool listed in your signature?

Just no reason to spend the extra money if it does not make sense.

I don't know the pump p/n it is old and has no labels on it. Has 2" piping and SQ1152 pump.
My pool is in ground pool, have no idea why my signature says otherwise, maybe forum's default setting.
VS pump is needed for electricity bill reduction and better neighbor's sleep.

So post a picture of the pump ... that could help.

You must be one where the software change caused a glitch in the signatures. Now would be a good time for you to add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

My 2-speed pump running on low is almost impossible to hear running while standing next to it and will save a large portion of your electrical cost. If your power is not expensive, then you may never recoup the extra cost of a VS pump over a 2-speed pump.

I was wrong - there is a label. It is P4E6F-152L - probably Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas model.

My electricity cost is 30c/ kW

I considered the 2 speed motor as the first option but then I found out it costs almost the same (pump + electronic timer supporting 2-speed pump), but leaves the old 15 year old pump, that may be noisy by itself. So I will better replace the whole thing for $200 more.

Now we are getting somewhere :) ... that power cost certainly points toward a VS pump.

What are your pool details? If you have no high water flow needs, then you should likely look at the smaller VS pumps Hayward SuperPump VS or Maxflo VS or the Pentair Superflo VS. These are newer than the larger VS pumps (like the Intelliflo) which are likely overkill for you.

BTW, what is wrong with black plastic on the pump? Do you prefer tan plastic?

Now we are getting somewhere :) ... that power cost certainly points toward a VS pump.

What are your pool details? If you have no high water flow needs, then you should likely look at the smaller VS pumps Hayward SuperPump VS or Maxflo VS or the Pentair Superflo VS. These are newer than the larger VS pumps (like the Intelliflo) which are likely overkill for you.

BTW, what is wrong with black plastic on the pump? Do you prefer tan plastic?

Well I prefer stainless steel or bronze or anodized aluminum or (let me dream more...ha-ha) for the durable outdoor things.

The pool is small - the size is about 25'x10'x4' - I think the volume is 7000 gallons, if I did not miscalculate.

May be my current pump is an overkill but I run it only 3 hours a day. With a VS pump of the same MAX GPM rate I will be able to reduce the GPM as needed, but I will not worry that I will not have enough suction for priming (the pump equipment is rather far from the pool).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The SP3400VSP is specified at 10.9 amps peak.

Yes, that's the pump I mentioned in my initial post. But I am wondering if there are any alternatives.

I just checked Pentair Superflo VS and it is $100 cheaper and 10A max, but it is not a permanent magnet motor (= more noisy and less efficient if I understood correctly)

Are you limited to 10 amps or not? You just said "10A max", so why are you considering a 10.9 amp pump?

You won't be able to tell the difference in sound level between an permanent magnet motor and a regular motor as long as both of them are VS pumps. All VS pumps are relatively quite at low speed and relatively loud of high speed. Likewise, a variable speed conventional motor will save you a huge amount of electricity, while upgrading from there to a permanent magnet motor makes a tiny difference in efficiency that you are unlikely to notice and which will not pay back it's additional initial costs in most cases.

Are you limited to 10 amps or not? You just said "10A max", so why are you considering a 10.9 amp pump?

You won't be able to tell the difference in sound level between an permanent magnet motor and a regular motor as long as both of them are VS pumps. All VS pumps are relatively quite at low speed and relatively loud of high speed. Likewise, a variable speed conventional motor will save you a huge amount of electricity, while upgrading from there to a permanent magnet motor makes a tiny difference in efficiency that you are unlikely to notice and which will not pay back it's additional initial costs in most cases.

I meant "around 10A" ... 10.9 is still close, but Intelliflo's 16 Amps are way too far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.