Newbie - Test kit options?

Turbothechihuahua

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2013
Oro Valley AZ
So PebbleTec is in process as we speak. My PB does the initial start up, and I was told I cannot run my SWG (it won't even be installed) for 30 days. Where do I start? I have never owned a pool before. Which test kit should I purchase with any of the options?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You should have been reading Pool School throughout the build to get an understanding of the chemistry, but you still have time.

In it we also list the Recommended Test Kits. Most would recommend you order the TF-100 as it is a better value. You will need to maintain the chlorine with bleach for the first month before you can add the salt and get the SWG dialed in.

We are here to answer questions as they come up.

OK I updated my signature, and will get cramming for pool school!

I read through the list of recommended kits. But I have no clue which would be best for me and my pool. It looks like the TF-100 kit would be best, but I am not sure if I need any add ons. I will admit I am more a learn by doing than by reading.... but I think I may have to hit the books!

Thanks!

Since this is a new fill, you should not need the XL option and no need for salt or borate testing. The only "add-on" that is highly recommended is the SpeedStir for whatever test kit you buy (although again I suggest the TF-100).

{Add your location to your profile as well, Thanks}

Understanding the testing and adjustments does become much more obvious and easy to understand when you start doing it. Get the kit and test your tap water for some practice and to know what you will be starting with (no need to test CYA as it is 0)

Likely a very basic test. How long till your pool is filled?

You may be able to get the TF-100 a little faster from poolsupplyworld.com who is a western distributor for tftestkits.net ... order from tftestkits.net takes about 1 week (I had a shipment go out last Thursday and it will be delivered on Wednesday).

{I think I probably live within 5 miles of you :D}

The acid wash is supposed to occur tomorrow then I am assuming they will start filling the pool. I did order the tf-100 test kit already, so hopefully it will arrive soon. I am brushing up on pool school in the meantime. The site makes it pretty easy, I think with a little help I can definitely get a good system of maintaining my pool myself under control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.