This is how a pool should open!

Gumby, I'm with you...cant stand looking at the pool cover but wifey keeps me in check and wont let me open till first week of May.

Well, your opening should not be a function of calendar date. It should be a function of water temperature. We recommend opening while the water is still in the 50s to make your life easier. As you can see, ssgumby opened to a nice clear pool ... which may not be the case if you wait too long.

Our water is usually in the 50's about the first of May.

I also have an open mesh safety cover on the pool and the water turns dark green not long after I close it.

BUT, I would much rather open sooner, especially now that I just received my TF-100 kit over the weekend and want to play with it :)

Are you closing following our methods when the water is below 60 degrees? I have no experience with this, but I do think it is harder to keep a clear pool with a mesh cover.

Are you closing following our methods when the water is below 60 degrees? I have no experience with this, but I do think it is harder to keep a clear pool with a mesh cover.

When I had my AG my pool was clear every spring, the open mesh on my IG is another story.

New to IG's when we bought our house 4 years ago the previous owner suggested to contract out the closing so thats what I have done since. I do everything else including opening.

I had been looking for a forum to understand pool chemistry better and save a few bucks because I felt I was spending more money than I needed to be. Learning to close will be a bonus.

Closing when the water temp is 50 or below and bringing your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA level will go along way to opening to clear water.
That said you need to open when your water temp is in the same range. Even if you leave the cover on, it's good idea to get the water moving and adjust your levels. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even if you leave the cover on, it's good idea to get the water moving and adjust your levels. 
Would be hard to do that since the cover is tight and buckled down to the anchors and plugs are in all the discharge jets. Not sure I could loosen the sides of the cover and remove the plugs. But it does make sense and I imagine would make the opening a little easier.

It usually takes me a week to get it clear.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Gumby

No worries Willi.

I didnt close my pool until first weekend in November, so water was in low 50's when I closed. I did not SLAM or add a single thing, I simply winterized late and opened early to a clear pool with the exception of some fine dirt that makes its way through the mesh.

I dare you to swim in it. :D

Funny you say that. Was reading an article on some sore muscles. Soaking for 10 mins in 50 degree ice water is suppose to relieve the muscle soreness. NFL players soak day after each game. Having said that, I am not an NFL player and I would rather have sore muscles!

P.S. sore muscles from patio construction!

Not open yet but my cover tore so I can see my water is still pretty clean and clear!!

zegasaha.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.