Hard plumbing question

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
As many of you know, I've been slowly converting my small pool to hard plumbing.

I've been doing some reading on this subject, and have come across the idea of a complete loop around the pool especially for the returns. I think I understand the principle behind this, that being easier to balance flow rate through multiple returns/. I am wondering if it would be worth doing to mine.

So far I have two returns, and one skimmer. I'm planning on adding a couple more returns, plus a low mounted suction port in addition to the dedicated vacuum port.

The question is, will this improve the overall operation of the pool?

I wouldn't bother. The larger the loop, the less impact it has. They work well for spas but less so for pools. Also, having equal flow out of the returns isn't really necessary and I doubt it would have a material impact on the operation of the pool.

I wouldn't bother, either, but you could "test" it a bit with using smaller eyeballs at the returns closest to the pump.......I doubt you will notice much difference and I can't see it being much more efficient.

you could "test" it a bit with using smaller eyeballs at the returns closest to the pump
While that would help to equalize flow rate, it would make the exit velocity imbalance higher. I might be more inclined to do the opposite. Putting the smaller eyeball on the furthest return would help equalize exit velocity at the expense of flow rate equalization. Exit velocity is what does the "work" of the return and helps move the surface water as well as helps mix the water. Of course if you have a choice, you could just arrange the returns to be equidistant from the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.