Hard piping your above ground pool

It is mostly that working with hoses tends to be annoying. It is sometimes difficult to connect them without leaks. They break occasionally, often draining the pool in the process. They age and need to be replaced every few years. Things like that. These problems are rare enough that they aren't immediate worries, but common enough that most people who spend several years of working with hoses will have run into each of them.

If you aren't having any of those problems, there is no reason to switch. And in any case there is no need to switch to rigid plumbing.

I switched to rigid plumbing as I have an Intex AGP. Since I am slowly converting my hardware (Pump, Filter, SWG) I am starting to install Rigid plumbing on my equipment. I have installed a Hayward 1.5HP pump, Hayward Side-Wall Skimmer, I ran Rigid pipe from the skimmer to my ball-valve and on my return outlet. One thing to keep in mind, in your local area, the longer Intex hose at my pool place was like $20. so parts may be a scarce product in your area.

just my $.02 on the issue :)

If you are working with an Intex AGP, you will quickly find that the stock valves, fittings, pump/filter all are grossly undersized for your pool.

As Jason has noted, the head loss in the stock fittings etc. is rather high. This translates to lower flow rate, which means filtration is inadequate at best.

I have found that hard plumbing the pool helps you keep it cleaner, so it takes less time to care for your pool.

I have a 18 x 48 intex easy up the pump and hoses that came with it made it hard to keep it sanitized . I got the intex 56881eg it has worked great for 3 years no problems with hoses,filter,copper ionizer,swg or pump. I suggest this setup to everyone I know! The only down side is my pool, it has many patches and leaks( its 7 years old) and the hang on the ring skimmer stinks. And its still a breeze to take care of.

I changed from the flexible lines last spring due to the fact that they only seem to last a few years before starting to leak. I went with 2" pipes buried to my pump then necked down as necessary. The output of my jet and the flow into the return is dramatically better. My automatic pool cleaner works better and i can tell my pool is benefiting from the better flow. When I hit the pool with my return vacuum it works so much better now.

I'd highly recommend the change.

I'm considering hard piping as well when my heater is installed this spring. I'd be using 2" piping - is there a limit on the number of 90 degree turns you can make? I think you'd want to keep them to a minimum but curious if there is a best practice so flow rate isn't reduced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frank, there is no specific limit on 90s. The more there are the less efficient the system gets, though it requires quite a few (dozens) before you will have enough impact to notice. Best practice is to design things so you don't need very many, and then don't worry about the ones you do need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.