Acid Magic

As the owner of a True Value Hardware store as well as a new pool owner, I am interested in the experts opinion of this product. I have used it exclusively in my new pool this spring......it looks to me like it works just like regular muratic acid.

That being said, I am interested in hearing from Waterbear, Jasonlion or one of the other experts!!

I looked at the MSDS, and it indicates the primary ingredient is still Hydrochloric Acid, so I don't know what's different about it. I guess we'll have to wait on somebody who understands the chemistry to fill us in.

They have added something to suppress most of the fumes you usually get with muriatic acid. That part works as advertised. Several of their other claims are true of regular muriatic acid as well, so a little misleading. I don't know what they added or what long term effects it might have on the pool.

According to this fact sheet they have buffered the acid in such a way that it can increase inorganic phosphates (aka orthophosphates). So be careful when using this acid in the pool. Though phosphates should not matter, the amount could accumulate enough to cause calcium phosphate scaling especially in high CH environments. Also, if your pool was low in phosphates before, then the increased phosphates will make the pool grow algae faster if you let the FC/CYA ratio get too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.