SWCG readout much lower than testers show

txborn

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Carrollton, TX
Just fired up the Aqua Rite turbo cell and set it to 50%. PB added salt 3 weeks ago. Last week, readings were 3800; Monday it was 3700 - took 2 samples to 2 different Leslies and PB checked it Monday - he used a Goldline electronic tester. Leslies used electronic testors too with the digital readout.

Readout on the Aqua Logic keypad said salt at 2800ppm. Why so much difference?

Some SWG estimate salt levels based on conductivity of the water. If your water is fairly cold the conductivity will be lower than usual so the unit can read lower than the actual salt level. If your water is in the 80s then it is more likely that it has gotten out of calibration.

Get a Taylor salt test kit. It's the easiest and most accurate way to get the correct reading. I don't know about your unit but I was able to calibrate my Auto Pilot to my results and it's been perfect ever since.

Donnie

Thanks for the responses. Pool water is 79 degrees so that may be part of it. I don't know if I can calibrate the Goldline unit - I will check out the instruction manual to see if I missed something. It did show 2900 this morning. Ordered a test kit with salt tester from Dave and it is in transit.

You mentioned AquaLogic as well as the AquaRite so I am not sure which you have but I can speak to the Aqualogic unit. My unit reads the same salt level no matter what the water temp is. This spring I went from 55 degrees to 90 degrees without any change in the salt level reading (2900 ppm). However, I noticed a large change in the current draw which I should since conductivity is fairly dependent on water temperature.

The Aqualogic compenstates the salt reading for temperature and this is why it remains constant. Otherwise the salt reading would have gone up with temperature.

What I do not know is if the Aquarite unit does the same but I would be surprised if it didn't.

Mark, sorry for the confusion. I have the Aqua Logic PS8 controller. The salt cell is labeled Aqua Rite and plugs into the Aqua Logic board. Salt readout now shows 3000. Maybe it's just taking a while to get the measurement?

Mark C

The Aqualogic unit has two different salt readings. The one you normally see is in the default menu and is a long term average reading. Not sure how long though.

The diagnostics menu has an instant salt reading and represents a more current reading of salt levels. By pressing the + button on the instant salt reading, you can recalibrate the unit and the average salt reading gets updated. Give that a try and see if it is any better.

If that doesn't help then inspect the cell to make sure you don't have any calcium build up. That will throw the reading off as well.

Poolsean said:
Aqualogic is the controller. Aquarite is the salt system. Both owned by Hayward.

Actually, that's not quite right. Aqualogic is a controller and a salt system together in one unit, you just add the cell for a SWG. Aquarite is a salt system only without the controller.

I was a bit surprised that he said his cell has Aquarite label on it as mine does not. Mine simply says Turbo Cell T-15. I thought the cells were the same but perhaps not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine has the same label.

Also, be aware that I have received bad test results from pool stores. The problem with electronic meters is they need to be calibrated once in a while. Also, to get an accurate reading, they must compenstate for water temp which many do not bother to do.

If you added the right amount of salt to the pool per the instructions, then I would tend to believe the Aqualogic reading rather than the pool store readings since this is closer to what it should be.

The test kit will be the most accurate measurement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.