Looking for advice on refinishing a pool

O'C

Apr 4, 2007
New Jersey
Hi, I'm new to these boards. I stopped by the Coffee Bar to wave hello, but now it's down to business. :wink:

I bought a house in Northern New Jersey with an inground pool that needs to be refinished. I've never owned a pool before so I'm really starting from scratch.

I know the pool was painted with epoxy about 3 years ago, but they didn't let it set properly and the paint was peeling in big pieces.

I just assumed it was simply sandblasting and repainting, but the one pool guy I've spoken to is really pushing plastering rather than painting. It's an old Sylvan gunite pool, 44 ft long--I estimate about 25k gallons total. It wasn't opened at all last year and the water in there now has a dark green swamp kind of thing going.

The quote for plaster is $7000 and $12k for Diamondbrite compared to $2500 for paint.

So my (first) questions are:

1. Is paint really that bad? That's a pretty big price difference to just rule it out. The previous owner (my father in law) has always had it painted and this is the first issue he's had with it.

2. I've read the water chemistry can affect the pool surface. Should I expect any issues from having it sit untreated since Sep. 05? Or is that only a plaster issue?

3. Either way it needs to be sandblasted. The guy wants to do dry sandblasting vs wet. I imagine dry is a lot dustier. Any other differences?

I'm looking forward to hanging around here. I appreciate any input you guys can give.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey OC, welcome aboard!!
As a New Jersey (Tenafly) native, I'd like to be able to help you. Unfortunately, my experience with painted pools is very limited. However, I do know enough to give you some advice on the options.

When using 'top quality' epoxy paint, the pool surface must be COMPLETELY dry, including dew - there are some pool paints that will bond despite a 'moist' surface - if your paint needs to be completely dry, you are at Ma Natures' mercy for the timing to be 'just right' the day the dudes come to do the job. As with any outdoor painting, Ma Nature can turn a great job into a disaster. While epoxy paint will last much longer, if properly applied, you may want to look into alternative paints, which while not as long lasting can be applied under less strict conditions (you've seen epoxy paint fail within 2 yrs). There is nothing inherently bad about a painted pool, when the paint is proporly applied, it even takes some of the chemical 'requirements' out of play - but I am not sure if it creates some other requirements) :(

As for the sandblasting, I've only done it 'dry' (about 100 times +/-) - the only problems I've noticed with 'dry blasting' are the dust and possible silicosis from breathing the dust in (but I won't see that effect for another 5 yrs :wink: )

You may want to get more than 1 quote for the job, I might be able to give you a reference, but I won't EVER name a company I've worked for on the web. Let's see if someone else has some more solid info ...

Hi, OC,

Just to support what Ted has already said, ANY paint job will fail if the preparatory conditions are not properly met. Pool paint seems particulary vulnerable to that premise.........it has to be prepared and applied meticulously for a good job.

I remember enough failed paint jobs from poolforum to not recommend it. If you get a good plaster finish up front and get the usual 10 years or so out of it, you will probably be money ahead in the long run.

Of course, if the plasterers do inadequate prep work, it will fail as well......That's seems less likely, however.

Hey Chris,

From our experience (in the last month) we went from a painted pool, peeling like yours, to new plaster and love the way it looks!! I'm sure you're going to love it!

However from our experience I wish we would have spent more time with bids and checked out more remodel places. It's all turning out in the end but it's been a headach.

I'd suggest trying to speak with previous customers, seeing their pools, and if your ideas change from the first bid I would get re-bids from previous pool builders (that's what we didn't do that I wish we had).

Enjoy!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.