Hole in the bottom of my pool - hydrostatic Pressure?

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I drained the pool and took off the liner. As i was stepping on the bottom my heart sank as it went "squish". I thought the pool was above the water table (there is a stream a lot lower I thought). In any case, there is a good sized circular break popping up and a black membrance underneath (I almost broke it but I don't think I did since the water is clear).

What do I do here? Do I wait and see if the water goes down, do I sump it out or do something with that plug in the bottom of the drain? I can repair the hole with hydraulic cement I believe. I'm hoping I haven't just done something that will kill my pool. It's a 20x40 inground and the bottom is **** honestly, I'm surprised they put a liner over it in the state I found it. I'm also wondering what I do to smooth it. I haven't ordered the liner yet and figured at worst I'd pour over everything on the bottom if I had to!

Note the wetter picture, that's tonight...so I plan to look tomorrow to see if the water is rising.

Any help appreciated, I feel embarrassed to ask. :confused:

IMG_20140330_194136.jpgIMG_20140330_162521.jpgIMG_20140330_162525.jpgIMG_20140330_162532.jpgIMG_20140330_162549.jpg

You have what appears to be pool base, a mix of vermiculite and Portland cement. Put a sump pump down in the bottom and keep the water that comes in pumped out. You can repair the spot that is broke up, just get a bag or two of pool krete

So the groundwater is coming up and the membrane (aka black trash bag) is ripped already. I think this break happened a while ago. If it stays wet can I just use sand there? I can't seem to get all the water out. Its only an inch or two of water though from the top of the drain.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use sand. You won't be able to get a perfect match between the sand and the poolcrete, but that won't hurt the pool it will just be noticeable if anyone is walking along there. Of course given the location that seems unlikely.

Yeah I might end up doing that, if it was new construction I'd excavate and get a sump well under the drain but I can't afford or have time to excavate the bottom. I've noticed the leaf catcher and vacumn hit something there for last two years. I bet the last replacement covered it up. The poolcrete couldn't let enough water in so it broke.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It doesn't sound like you have all that much water. A dry well might well be both overkill and not enough.

You have a couple of choices. The easiest (but slowest) one is to wait until the ground water level goes down. Another is to open the post in the main drain and pump out from there while you do whatever you are going to do with the broken area. Or you can dig two or three dry wells and use sump pumps to hold the water level lower while you work on the pool.

Hundreds of thousands of pools have been built with sand under a vinyl liner. The modern approach is to use pool-crete, because it gives a smoother surface and is easier to work with when placing the liner, but there is nothing wrong with sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.