Spa Chem Balance

eGGnog

Aug 16, 2013
Dallas, TX
My spa and I have been in a war for the better part of the last 3 weeks trying to strike a balance between TA and pH. I feel like I am missing some crucial piece of knowledge and I wanted to reach out to you guys to see what that might be. Initially, my TA was low (less than 25) but my pH was balanced at 7.5. To bring up the TA, I added 2.5 oz of baking soda (per poolmath, 2.5 oz brings 250 gallons to 75 from 20) but in doing so, the pH shoots through the roof (well over 8.0). Then, I add muriatic acid to bring the pH back down and it brings my TA back down below 25. Logically, this makes sense to me as they counteract each other (muriatic acid being an acid and baking soda being a base), so how do I find the right balance? At this point do I need to just drain the pool and start over?

Edit: Something I was just thinking of that might be relevant - I leave my spa jets and heater on 24/7 with the cover on. Would that be considered aeration and would that have an effect on this?

You definitely don't want to run the jets 24/7. It is plausible, though not needed, to run the circulation all the time, but not the jets.

There is no fixed TA level that you aim for in a spa. TA is adjusted until the PH comes out right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.