Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

  1. Back To Top    #1
    iggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Cool Part of Arizona
    Posts
    175

    Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Hi All,
    It has been about 5 months since my pool was finished and I wanted to give others my perspective on what I have seen and learned about my pool.

    I have a nice 4 cartridge Jandy filter CL460. I have cleaned it today which makes it the 3rd cleaning (Jan Apr, Jun). My water pressure wasn't high (about 12 psi) but I still felt I better clean them before it gets hotter. To my surprise they were dirty and I must have removed about 10 lbs of just air pollution as we call it here in Arizona. Lots of small particles of ground dust/dirt. I washed everything down and cleaned and inspected all the gaskets. Cleaned my in-floor valve controller and decided to remove my Chlorine Cell just to see what ups. I had no visable deposits so I just reinstalled it. Everything back to gether and my PSI is down to 10 psi which it is normally.

    My infloor cleaning system saves a lot of time with a typical cleaned. I still have to sweep a few times a week but the dragging in and out of the floor sweeper and possible deterioration I'm still glad I have the in-floor system.

    Things that I like about my pool. Definitely glad I got a water fall. I'm glad I got 4 return lines hooked up together. Glas I got the SWG, larger filter and 1 1 /2 hp moter.

    Chemicals purchases
    Muratic Acid (7 gal), water claifier to clump the dust to the filters.

    Todays Water Chemistry a few times a week.
    Especially Chlorine, pH and Alk.

    FC 5
    TC 5
    Ph 7.6
    Alk 80
    Hardness 250
    CYA actually it is around 80 but fluctuates by pool store 50 to 100
    Water Temp 90
    Chlorine Genrerator 33%, Pump runs 5 hrs a day so far. May have to increase more soon.

    So back to my subject line.......
    Don't forget to clean your filters when you get the chance.
    I figure it is a very important part of my whole pleasurable pool experience.

    HAVE A GREAT 4th of JULY HOLIDAY and don't forget to fly our flag high.
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

  2. Back To Top    #2
    ktdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    888

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Iggy,

    Thanks for the great info on what you have experienced since your pool has been in operation!

    One thing I noticed that may be of help to you is that your CYA level of 50 is a little low for your SWG. Goldline suggests a CYA level of 60 - 80 and says 80 ppm "is best".

    Happy 4th to you too! and glad you're having a great experience with your new pool!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

  3. Back To Top    #3
    iggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Cool Part of Arizona
    Posts
    175

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Iggy,

    Thanks for the great info on what you have experienced since your pool has been in operation!

    One thing I noticed that may be of help to you is that your CYA level of 50 is a little low for your SWG. Goldline suggests a CYA level of 60 - 80 and says 80 ppm "is best".

    Happy 4th to you too! and glad you're having a great experience with your new pool!

    Thanks for the update. It actually is 100 but I put in the low that the pool stores have come up with. Some days they say 100 and some days they say 80 then 50 then back up to 100. I know for sure it is between 80-100 which may be high but here in Arizona we need it high because of the sun and heat. I guess. I will change it to 80 in my message.
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    527

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Iggy,
    I have the CL460 as well and I cleaned them this past month for the first time since the pool was finished, which is about 10 months now. My pressure has always been low, I believe I only gained about 2psi since installed. But they were very dirty, it took me about 30 minutes each to get them clean and all the mud was on me when I was done. What a PITA that was. I found it best to use a non-pressure regulated hose that I plumbed from my sprinkler system. I'd still be cleaning them w/o it.

    I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    iggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Cool Part of Arizona
    Posts
    175

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    Iggy,
    I have the CL460 as well and I cleaned them this past month for the first time since the pool was finished, which is about 10 months now. My pressure has always been low, I believe I only gained about 2psi since installed. But they were very dirty, it took me about 30 minutes each to get them clean and all the mud was on me when I was done. What a PITA that was. I found it best to use a non-pressure regulated hose that I plumbed from my sprinkler system. I'd still be cleaning them w/o it.

    I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.
    I have a large plastic tub (probably 20 gal) I use to wash each filter in. I systematically start at the top 1/4 and work around until I see clear water then work down to the next 1/4 and do the same all the way to the bottom. When I reinstall filters I flip them 180 degrees. That way I have even deterioration on the bottom edges which collects the most dirt. Also I can dump the dirty water around the plants when the tub gets full. Here in Arizona we learn to use water wisely. 8)

    Have a great 4th.
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Guest

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Quote Originally Posted by crabboy

    I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.
    Read this:
    how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

  7. Back To Top    #7
    iggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Cool Part of Arizona
    Posts
    175

    Re: Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Quote Originally Posted by crabboy

    I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.
    Read this:
    how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html
    Thanks waterbear for the link to the sticky.
    This website has so much to offer everyone.
    Have a great 4th!
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •