Don't Foret to Clean the Filters........

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
Hi All,
It has been about 5 months since my pool was finished and I wanted to give others my perspective on what I have seen and learned about my pool.

I have a nice 4 cartridge Jandy filter CL460. I have cleaned it today which makes it the 3rd cleaning (Jan Apr, Jun). My water pressure wasn't high (about 12 psi) but I still felt I better clean them before it gets hotter. To my surprise they were dirty and I must have removed about 10 lbs of just air pollution as we call it here in Arizona. Lots of small particles of ground dust/dirt. I washed everything down and cleaned and inspected all the gaskets. Cleaned my in-floor valve controller and decided to remove my Chlorine Cell just to see what ups. I had no visable deposits so I just reinstalled it. Everything back to gether and my PSI is down to 10 psi which it is normally.

My infloor cleaning system saves a lot of time with a typical cleaned. I still have to sweep a few times a week but the dragging in and out of the floor sweeper and possible deterioration I'm still glad I have the in-floor system.

Things that I like about my pool. Definitely glad I got a water fall. I'm glad I got 4 return lines hooked up together. Glas I got the SWG, larger filter and 1 1 /2 hp moter.

Chemicals purchases
Muratic Acid (7 gal), water claifier to clump the dust to the filters.

Todays Water Chemistry a few times a week.
Especially Chlorine, pH and Alk.

FC 5
TC 5
Ph 7.6
Alk 80
Hardness 250
CYA actually it is around 80 but fluctuates by pool store 50 to 100
Water Temp 90
Chlorine Genrerator 33%, Pump runs 5 hrs a day so far. May have to increase more soon.

So back to my subject line.......
Don't forget to clean your filters when you get the chance.
I figure it is a very important part of my whole pleasurable pool experience.

HAVE A GREAT 4th of JULY HOLIDAY and don't forget to fly our flag high. :-D

Iggy,

Thanks for the great info on what you have experienced since your pool has been in operation!

One thing I noticed that may be of help to you is that your CYA level of 50 is a little low for your SWG. Goldline suggests a CYA level of 60 - 80 and says 80 ppm "is best".

Happy 4th to you too! and glad you're having a great experience with your new pool!

ktdave said:
Iggy,

Thanks for the great info on what you have experienced since your pool has been in operation!

One thing I noticed that may be of help to you is that your CYA level of 50 is a little low for your SWG. Goldline suggests a CYA level of 60 - 80 and says 80 ppm "is best".

Happy 4th to you too! and glad you're having a great experience with your new pool!

Thanks for the update. It actually is 100 but I put in the low that the pool stores have come up with. Some days they say 100 and some days they say 80 then 50 then back up to 100. I know for sure it is between 80-100 which may be high but here in Arizona we need it high because of the sun and heat. I guess. I will change it to 80 in my message.

Iggy,
I have the CL460 as well and I cleaned them this past month for the first time since the pool was finished, which is about 10 months now. My pressure has always been low, I believe I only gained about 2psi since installed. But they were very dirty, it took me about 30 minutes each to get them clean and all the mud was on me when I was done. What a PITA that was. I found it best to use a non-pressure regulated hose that I plumbed from my sprinkler system. I'd still be cleaning them w/o it.

I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.

crabboy said:
Iggy,
I have the CL460 as well and I cleaned them this past month for the first time since the pool was finished, which is about 10 months now. My pressure has always been low, I believe I only gained about 2psi since installed. But they were very dirty, it took me about 30 minutes each to get them clean and all the mud was on me when I was done. What a PITA that was. I found it best to use a non-pressure regulated hose that I plumbed from my sprinkler system. I'd still be cleaning them w/o it.

I do need to find a better hose attachment. I used one with a flat sprayer, but it did not let enough water volume through.

I have a large plastic tub (probably 20 gal) I use to wash each filter in. I systematically start at the top 1/4 and work around until I see clear water then work down to the next 1/4 and do the same all the way to the bottom. When I reinstall filters I flip them 180 degrees. That way I have even deterioration on the bottom edges which collects the most dirt. Also I can dump the dirty water around the plants when the tub gets full. Here in Arizona we learn to use water wisely. :-D :goodjob: 8)

Have a great 4th.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.