Where to buy Spider Gasket for Hayward Sand filter S144T

Apr 22, 2013
Hello All,

My Sand Filter is leaking out the waste line. So it seems like I need to replace the spider gasket.

Its a Hayward S144T Pro Series Sand Filter.

Problem is I cannot seem to find a spider gasket for this filter. Anyone can point me to where I can order one of these. I see links to the entire assembly and an O-ring for the head as well. So I am a little confused.

thanks for your help

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hayward, in their infinite wisdom, did not design the the filter so that you can just replace the spider gasket. You basically need to buy a brand new handle assembly.

I seem to remember someone on the forum scraping off the old one and gluing on a generic, but I can't swear to it.

Thanks for your reply, Smykowski. But Grrr... thats too bad. Could it be anything else that is causing the problem. Would replacing the simple O-ring that they do sell for the head help. I have seen some people just put a cheap valve on the waste line. Would that work as a temporary fix? I am thinking of replacing the sand filter anyways. Just need a stop gap fix.

I also should mention that this is an old sand filter. I would guess at least 5-7 years old. The head is a Hayward SP0714T Pro-Series Control Valve Vari-Flo 1-1/2-Inch http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0714T-Vari-Flo-Top-Mount-2-Inch-FIP/dp/B00269II66/

So with the multiport on filter, sand is coming out the waste line?

Have you taken the multiport apart to inspect the "gasket" yet?

As far as I can tell there is no sand coming out the waste line. I have not yet taken apart the multiport. Company is expected tomorrow so don't wont to break it further. Was planning to take it apart after they leave. For now, the waste line runs via backwash hose into the pool when its filtering. Its not more than a drip anyway. Tomorrow morning, I can see if there is sand where the backwash hose enters the pool.

So I took apart my multiport (was much simpler than I thought) and inspected the gasket. Problem is I am not sure what it is supposed to look like. It does look like only one "arm" of the spider gasket has a ridge on it. The rest of them are all well worn down. It really is to such an extent that it seems designed this way... anyway thought I would upload the pictures. The gasket is definitely glued on. Not replaceable. Seems like I just need the cover and not the whole "head". Be an easier procedure to replace just the head as well. It looks like you can just buy the diverter assembly http://www.poolzoom.com/key-seal-assembly-sp0714t-spx0714ca.html

hmmm I cannot seem to upload the pics here. Says I have gone over my quota...

but they are here http://imgur.com/tT6tpj4,0x9MQ3c#1 http://imgur.com/tT6tpj4,0x9MQ3c#0

Thanks for reading

Yes, I think so. It definitely looks worn out. I am curious as to why you say it is a pain to replace the diverter part...it seems to be simply a matter of screwing the upper part back on. Unless, and I cannot tell from the picture on poolzoom, the diverter does not include the handle assembly with spring. In which case, is it worth trying to replace only the diverter. I just took a look at my head cover and it looks like there is no easy way to simply remove the diverter section from the handle section. Any tips will be appreciated.

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic....it's separating the handle and spring from the diverter that's the issue. I took my multiport apart awhile back to lube it up since it was turning very rough. I wanted to completely disassemble it, but I had a really hard time getting the pin out and the handle off. I stopped working at it cause I didn't want to break anything, but I didn't try that hard.

You'll have to undo all the phillips head screws around the outside. Gently separate the top from the bottom. Then there's a pin that holds the handle to the diverter. You have to gently tap that pin out, and the whole thing falls apart.

Put it this way, if my spider gasket goes, there's no way I'm buying a whole multiport. I'm doing the same thing you're about to do.

So to give an update. I was able to replace the diverter unit. I found that if you screw the 6 screws holding the top down first, then it becomes a simple matter to insert the pin. The screws compress the spring for you. So thats a tip for anyone else that needs to do this.

However, I am having a problem with water leaking from the valve. Quite copiously. The pump works and the water comes out of the return. But it leaks at the filter. I tried to turn the handle 180 degrees and install but that does not work at all. No water at the return and leaks.

I did notice that after I screw the top unit down the handle is quite loose (up and down). When I take it off the handle is stiff but after I screw it down it jiggles up and down in a way I dont remember it doing before.

Any input will be appreciated. thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So to give an update. I was able to replace the diverter unit. I found that if you screw the 6 screws holding the top down first, then it becomes a simple matter to insert the pin. The screws compress the spring for you. So thats a tip for anyone else that needs to do this.
Great tip.

As for the rest, I'm not following. Are you saying that it's leaking in between the filter and the multiport? Underneath where the band clamp holds it all together?

No, its leaking from the top of the multiport. Its hard to tell from where exactly. Will check again tomorrow. But it looks like its coming out of where the top of the multiport screws onto the base.

I think it is something to do with the fact that the handle is loose. It moves up and down (sky and ground) and I dont remember it doing that before. Will take it off again and look at it tomorrow. But I was wondering if there could be something else that could be wrong.

And yes, screwing the cap down makes putting the pin into the handle trivial!

Great tip.

As for the rest, I'm not following. Are you saying that it's leaking in between the filter and the multiport? Underneath where the band clamp holds it all together?

So I took a look at it in the cold light of day. The leak is from the center of the valve where the handle fits into the rest of the structure. I am certain it is leaking because the handle is loose.

But here is the odd part. When I unscrew the whole assembly the handle becomes stiff and tight like it is supposed to. But screwing it back on makes the handle loose and causes the leak. I wonder if I am over tightening the screws and thereby over compressing the spring.

Okay, I sorted it out. Turns out that the diverter assembly from Haywards does not come with O-rings that are supposed to be mounted on it. So there is a set of O-rings on the stem of the diverter. Duh! Just did not notice. Assumed that I could plug and play.

Now to remove the O-rings from the old diverter without breaking them and transfer them to the new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.