MN AGP - Need advice with what to do for heating pool

Mar 30, 2014
Minnesota
Hello! I am in MN, and this year will be our 3rd year with an agp 18'x54' pool.

Last summer was really cool and we did not get much use out of the pool. I would like to get a heating system for the pool but there are so many options out there and I am looking for advice of what others in the upper midwest have done. Our son is 6 1/2 so we have a good 6 - 8 more years the pool will get used frequently. I would like to keep cost under $1000.

If there is sun, the pool is in full sun until probably 5pm. I have a solar blanket but what came with pool (blue bubble kind - only keeps top of water warm) and think we should invest in a clear one? There is not enough room to install solar "panels".

We do have electrical run to pool but both outlets are used and would like to avoid needing more electrical as breaker panel is full.

Would a propane gas heater be a good investment to get use out of pool mid May, June & through mid September (if solar blanket is kept on pool at all times when not in use) or would the expense of the propane be outrageous?

Thanks for any advice!

Southeast Wisconsin here and we are pondering some additonal heat for our 27ft. round AGP. We currently run 4 - 2x20 solar mats and keep the solar cover on when we anticipate not using the pool for a few days. We started shopping yesterday for 2 additional 2x20 mats to increase our temps a bit, we prefer to have the water around 88 - 90. Came across a new to us panel from Solarpro, not the round coiled heater. This one instead looks like a solar panel. Trying to do some research on them now. Solarpro XF. We would install 2 of them and eliminate the mats. They've been good to us for about 6 years but slowly starting to lose their color and efficiency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.