Ozone MDV (mixing degas vessel) / Contact chamber Modifications

mgenee

Feb 1, 2014
I would like to replace our Del Ozone MDV-20 (top of image of pool pumps) with the MDV100 to increase the water volume / flow and ozone contact time, we are using the Total Eclipse 4.

This is our first season using ozone and i imagined a more significant improvement in chemical reduction and water clarity.

I think we can improve by changing ozone contact chamber to something larger.
What do you think? Are there any differences / benefits between the two MDV's (Del Ozone MDV-20 and MDV-100), are there anything else is on the market?

How about adding ozone to the suction side of the pump ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/41008-Hooking-up-ozone see Brian@UltraPure replies)

We have an outdoor stabilized chlorine pool around 20,000 gal or 75,000 Ltr, there is no shade and plenty of leafy gums and surrounding lawn and we have very high bathing loads in summer.

Thank you in advance

20140330_133912.jpgmdv_100__57963.1385221468.1280.1280.jpg20140330_134524.jpg

Generally, the forum is not a proponent of ozone for outdoor pools. You can search on here and get lot's of reasons why but you will probably find few, if any, positive comments about ozone.

(That's a picture of your commercial pool???)

Ozone has some advantages for the higher bather loads common to commercial pools. Ozones main value is in breaking down CC. In a residential pool with low bather load the normal chlorine levels break down all of the CC, leaving nothing for ozone to improve on. At higher bather loads, chlorine can not keep up with the amount of CC introduced to the pool, and the ozone systems gets something to work on.

The larger mixing chamber won't help at all unless the old one was undersized. I am not familiar with the exact specs of the Total Eclipse 4 system, but I would assume that they gave you an appropriate mixing chamber in their standard configuration.

Mixing chambers are designed to give the ozone time to react with the water, so that it is all consumed before the water leaves the plumbing and enters the water. Larger mixing chambers allow higher ozone feed rates to be used, the larger amounts of ozone take longer to fully react. An undersized mixing chamber allows ozone to enter the pool, which will result in an obvious "after a thunderstorm" smell near the surface of the pool, and also risks respiratory problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.