Start up CYA question

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
Pool installed yesterday and electrical in today. I added the appropriate amount of CYA, per Pool Math using a target of 30 ppm, in a sock through the skimmer. Before bed I tested my FC and pH. FC was one and pH was 7.2. Per pool math, using 0 CYA, I added the appropriate amount of bleach. As I've read, I shouldn't retest for CYA until next weekend. What CYA value do I use this week in Pool math to calculate the amount of bleach I add, 0 or the target of 30ppm?

Thanks

It is true that it will take about a week for recently added CYA to appear in test results. However, as woodyp states, once you add the CYA to the pool, you would immediately begin dosing FC according to the target level of the CYA you added (which in your case would be 30 ppm). For a CYA of 30, PoolMath recommends an FC level between 2 and 6 ppm, so I would aim for 4 to provide some cushion that it does not drop below 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.