Ok....really confused here

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
I put 14 bags of solar salt this morning and it's already dissolved however I just tested my chlorine and instead of it being in the low 20's since I'm slamming the pool, and now it's showing 12.5 FC.....

Is this to be expected? the water is still crystal clear and aside from me brushing and daily cleaning it has never dropped this sharply before.

Salt level is 6.4 or 3200ppm according to the salt test strips I got from tftestkits.com.

Please help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

There isn't any reason I would expect the salt level and the FC level to be particularly related to each other. Are you making some assumption about what the SWG should have been doing that you haven't mentioned?

How quickly FC goes away is a function of your CYA level, and is a percentage of the starting FC level. When the starting FC level is high, you will lose more chlorine to sunlight than when the starting FC level is lower.

Sorry i should have put more details it's been overcast all day with light sprinkling of rain very little if no sunlight at all CYA is 60. The SWG hasn't been installed yet. I was planning on doing it tomorrow since yesterday and today it's been lightly raining

I omitted to mention. I did find two of my plastic chairs in the pool. Wind must have blown them in there. I have no idea how long they may have floating in it. Sound like the likely culprit?

Even on an overcast day you will lose noticeable amounts of chlorine to sunlight. Plus there is always the chance that you had just a little algae still hanging on at the start of the day.

The chairs don't make much difference. It generally takes organic debris (or sunlight) to use up chlorine.

Ok. So I need to go dump 500 or so oz of bleach tonight. Even with my CYA at 60 I was still taken aback of it dropping that sharply. The last 5 days or so it's been similar weather conditions with the loss of max 4 FC. I'm wondering if I should hold off installing the swg until this pool is stable. ..

I would go ahead and do the install, but not start using it significantly until things have settled down.

Even fairly noticeable differences in the amount of sunlight are difficult to detect visually. It could have been somewhat brighter today. Another possibility is that there was something organic in the salt you added, and you lost some chlorine dealing with that. Such things are rare, but certainly happen.

Day time chlorine loss never really gives you much useful information. There are simply too many variables and confounding possibilities. It is overnight chlorine loss that tells you all kinds of things.

Pwr, so just so I understand you want me to leave it at 12.5 tonight and see if there's any chlorine in the morning? Or raise the chlorine to 24 and do an OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go ahead and get yourself up to your SLAM level. Take a test 30 min after you add your bleach so it's mixed in good. See what FC level you are then and then do test in the am before the sun comes up and see if you lost any FC and how much.

Ok got you guys. I picked up 8 121 oz jugs of 8.25 bleach. My main concern if I leave it at 12.5 and wake up in the morning to a cloudy pool or would that not happen that quickly?

Ok woody I like your thinking and thank you for calming my fears I think I'm going to leave it alone tonight at 12.5 since I only have enough reagent for one maybe two more tests. Should have new reagents on Monday from tftestkits.com.

OK...thanks to my 2yr old for waking me at 6am....I tested the water and it was 12 FC!!! chloromines was .5, water is still crystals clear. So if I may dare to say, I'm done with the slamming yes?

OK...going back to bed. Will be busy installing the swg in a few hours.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.