Jandy FloPro working harder now FHPM1.0-2

Jun 10, 2008
Hello-

I have the Jandy FloPro FHPM1.0-2 (2-speed pump....I also have a 2-speed timer) at it has been working great for nearly 6 years. However, in the last few weeks, it seems like it is working much harder than usual and is not moving nearly as much water. I would estimate that the pump is moving about 30-40% of the water I used to see (and this is on high speed).

I tried backwashing, thinking the filter was plugged - but the water coming out of the backwash line is much slower than usual. So, I moved the multi port valve to recirculate (attempting to bypass the filter) and the pump is still running slow.

I used to have the Jandy valve set about halfway between skimmer and Polaris. Now, it has to be 100% to Polaris to make the cleaner run.

The motor sounds fine, though I can tell it is working harder than usual. Does anyone know what might cause something like this?

When I look through the clear lens on the filter basket, it seems like the water doesn't 100% fill this area anymore. It is maybe 80-90% full. This has not changed in several weeks - even after I clean the basket, it returns to this level again.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Dmdrums

A couple of possibilities come to mind. My guess is that there is something clogging the pump impeller. Alternatively, there may be an air leak on the suction side of the pump letting air into the basket, though this is usually indicated by turbulent frothing in the strainer basket while the pump is on. Far less likely, the impeller could be damaged (very unusual).

You can usually get to the impeller by removing the pump strainer basket and reaching into the impeller chamber through the water intake hole. Make sure the power is off before attempting this. Generally that will give you enough access to see if there is something in there causing a problem, but may not be sufficient to remove it. You may need to disassemble the pump to get full access if something is really tangled up in there.

Jason-

I will check this out and report back.

Is there any sort of maintenance I should be doing on the pump? I am in AZ, and it is in full sun. Not sure if I should be lubing anything or replacing seals. In the past, I have always run pumps until they are dead - but maybe that isn't the best method....just don't know of a better plan.

Thanks again!

Dmdrums

Modern pumps need little attention other than clearing out the pump strainer basket regularly. The largest thing you could do to increase pump lifetime is to install some kind of roof/sun shade, so the pump gets less direct sunlight (and less rain).

Jason-

You were absolutely right on this. I removed the strainer and was able to reach to the impeller, which was loaded with various soggy leaves, etc. After pulling them out (5 minute project), the pump is back to perfect again.

I was amazed to find about 1 cup of debris tangled in the impeller....that is a lot of leaves!

Really appreciate your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.