Green pool - Just getting started with BBB

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
My pool is starting to turn green and I am ready to begin BBB for the first time.

My test kit is in the mail (TF100) and I will post results as soon as I can. It should arrive Tuesday based on the tracking info.

In the meantime, I have read the pool school articles and all about the SLAM procedure. Should I go ahead and stock up on bleach or wait until I have the test results?

The water is light green right now as seen in the photo.

photo.jpg

Any advice for a newbie about to get started with BBB?

thanks

Go back and read pool school some more. When I first started, it was pass number 4 or 5 where all the information started to click. Also, look at the threads in "Defeating Algae." You will be walking a similar path, so if you know what others' experiences are,you will be reassured about your progress.

And please take lots of pictures!

When your test arrives post up a full set of test results and we'll get you started on clearing this up.
In the meantime just keep reading on the SLAM process like you have been and all the other articles. ?

Thanks to all for the replies. I will keep reading on the SLAM process and work on developing my POP. I'll post test results as soon as I have them and will start picking up bleach as I am out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting a little antsy waiting for my test kit to arrive. As I watch the pool, the algae continues to get worse. Is there anything else I can be doing besides reading the pool school/SLAM articles on the site?

BTW, I picked up 6 121 oz bottles of bleach today. How much more should I have on hand to get started with the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your cya is 40 you are looking at 7 jugs to start. If it is 80 ... 14 jugs. Use pool math and plug theoretical numbers for practice. Look at target cl and what happens as you adjust cya.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I check the CYA level, should I just use the pool water or will it need to be diluted with tap water? Also, I thought I read somewhere that I should run the pump for 30 mins before doing the test. Is this correct? My pool is getting greener by the day - can't wait for that test kit to arrive on Tuesday!

Dilution is going to depend on your cya. If the first test yields a result out of range (90 or more) do a 1:1 dilution with tap water, test again and double your result number.

Can't speak to running the pump or not. I always do my testing at the same time of day from the same location with the pump on low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can run pump on recirculate run it for 30 mins to mix the water up some. Then take your sample. If you can't run it on recirculate just take a sample. No need to run all that algae thru your filter. It will see enough later. ?

Welcome to the forum Techman!

A pool that size is going to take a lot of FC to clear Algae, but it doesn't look too bad yet. Also, I'm not sure how deep it is, but a 20X40 and 8.5+ deep may be a little larger than 30K gallons. Is there any chance you can replace some water if you test and find the Cya is that high? More Cya means you will have to use more FC to do the same job, and where you will feel the pain it is during a SLAM. All in all, based on the looks of your pool this one ought to be relatively easy.

We were told the pool is 30K gallons by the previous owner so have assumed that was the case.

I had a couple other questions regarding the initial test(s) and the SLAM process. My water temp has been in the 50's lately. I guess I will need to get it to room temp before testing. Is that for all the tests or just CYA?

Also - my test should arrive tomorrow. I've got a pretty busy week coming up and won't be able to devote much time to the SLAM aside from a brief period in the AM before work and the time before dark once I get home in late afternoon. Would it make more sense to start the SLAM this weekend when I can devote more time to it? An added advantage is that I will be off work all next week and could spend way more time on the process. Will the algae get much worse if I wait a few days before attacking it?

Thanks for any insight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.