Powder coated ladder and stair rails vs uncoated stainless ?

rkpatt

Jun 30, 2008
I am preparing to replace the ladder and stair rails at a rental vacation home in the Florida panhandle beaches . The inground fiberglass pool was installed in 2001 . The powder coating was coming off the ladder and stair rails when I purchased the property in 2005. It looked bad ( coating coming off and slight rusting rust at near water line ) but I want to wait until the was an actual failure . Now a couple of stair treads had broken and the time has come for replacement of both of these items . My question is whether to go back with powder coated stainless vs uncoated stainless steel (more $ and will it last ) or not ? Why was there any rusting ? - Thanks

Re: Powder coated ladder and stair rails vs uucoated stainless ?

The powder coated ones you had probably weren't stainless. I'd also guess that's the reason they were used; powder coated steel would be much less expensive.

The downside is you have almost guaranteed corrosion if the powder coating gets a nick in it.

I would recommend buying the best quality stainless you can afford and skipping the powder coat.

Maybe the old ones were chrome plated with a powder coating on top or maybe they are stainless but are having reaction with something in the water ( salt contamination or salty air ) , The new ones I am looking at are stainless steel with powder coating . What I do know ithey look really bad when the powder coating flakes off .

Are the ladders and rails from In the Swm or Leslie ok ?.

Aquaman95 said:
The powder coated ones you had probably weren't stainless. I'd also guess that's the reason they were used; powder coated steel would be much less expensive.

The downside is you have almost guaranteed corrosion if the powder coating gets a nick in it.

I would recommend buying the best quality stainless you can afford and skipping the powder coat.

rkpatt said:
Maybe the old ones were chrome plated with a powder coating on top or maybe they are stainless but are having reaction with something in the water ( salt contamination or salty air ) , The new ones I am looking at are stainless steel with powder coating . What I do know ithey look really bad when the powder coating flakes off .

Are the ladders and rails from In the Swm or Leslie ok ?.

Aquaman95 said:

I don't have any personal experience with them but they look as good as any others I've seen.

Following the chemistry recommendations on this site, in particular the CYA to FAC recommendations will help to limit corrosion on SS parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.