Jandy Aquapure No Chlorine

Apr 15, 2013
OK, have an older (square cell) Aquapure rig. About 6 months ago the cell started looking pretty gnarly inside. Warped / broken grids, and was getting error codes @ the LCD inside the control unit.

I had replaced the sensor about 2 years ago, so it looked like the cell was due for a replacement. Costs were - yikes - so I got a cell off eBay that looked good. It's a newer cell, with larger fittings, so the old was cut off, and the new plumbed in place without incident. Power on, and no more error codes. Selt production to 75%, put salt in the pool so the board showed 3.2 ppm, and life was good, right?

Wrong. Couple of days later, the pool is looking a bit green. Grabbed the test kit and chlorine is at zero. Arg?

Can one of you fine professionals tell me next steps to troubleshoot / determine the problem?

Thanks!

Generally, if the SWG is happy, it is generating chlorine. However, algae can overcome a SWG if the algae has a little bit of a head start.

Now you really have two problems, one is cleaning up the pool, which should be done with at least mostly manual additions of chlorine. The other is figuring out if the cell is working. Cleaning up algae is straightforward, see the article on how to SLAM your pool.

Testing the cell is easier when the pool is completely cleaned up, then you can do an overnight FC gain test with the SWG running all night. It is possible to test the SWG before that, though somewhat tricky. You need to take a water sample from the union on the output side of the SWG while the pump and SWG are running and measure the FC level right away. If it is anything above the level in the pool, then the cell is working. Getting that water sample is tricky, you need to loosed the fitting just enough so it drips steadily, but not enough that it will come apart.

If you aren't getting any error codes and the "Cell On" light is on, it should be doing its thing. Being a Aquapure owner myself, although effective, they can be quick to throw an error with something as slight as a loose wire or dirty sensor contact.

If your pool sat with little or no chlorine for an extended period (and maybe temps started warming up) then I'm with Jason on this one. Probably just need a SLAM and it should be able to maintain.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Also checked the Aquapure and saw a service light. Code 125 and 194. Cell looked clean when I installed. I could give it a dip in Muratic acid. I fear I bought a bad cell :( Will clean the contacts and see if that might help.

Swept the pool and put the pump on for the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.