Hayward S244T Sand Filter

Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Been lurking around local Craigslist looking for a Hayward Sand Filter, ran across one for less than $100, guy says he switched from Sand to DE. it is 5-6 years old, anything I should be leery of when going after this?

Things to look at? I know I can get replacement parts locally if need be.

Thoughts?

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Ask if it was moved with sand in it? How they removed the sand?
Assuming it is empty, examine all the laterals inside as they are easy to damage if they man-handled it.

Does it come with a backwash or multi-valve as well?

Usually better to use 2" on the equipment pad due to all the turn fittings that add head loss and lower flow rate. Although at lower flow rates with a small pump, it likely does not make much difference at all.

I was thinking a 1.5HP pump on a little pool ... flow rate does not matter (you will have PLENTY) and likely 1.5" is enough.

My 18k pool only had a single 1.5" suction and return line.

Ok gave up on the dweeb from Craigslist. I tried to contact him late Friday evening and no answers. contacted him Saturday he said he would get back to me, told him when i talked to him at lunch on Friday that I was interested in his sand filter. he got back to me late afternoon Saturday and stated he had a guy come by that morning and he had sold it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh well, I just got the 244 from Amazon for like $289 and some change + tax made it short of $300. not bad for a $500+ sand filter.

:whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot:

It holds 300# of sand. One question, once I get this thing filled up, how do I move it, could I put it on a 2 wheel cart and shuttle it around?

Plus now with that guy from Craigslist, he works in the pool industry, since he sold the one I was looking for, he said he had a newer version. Now I am starting to think, that maybe some of his customers switched out/upgraded and he had the old filters and was selling them for his own good.

ok, since I don't see me rotating my pool this year/season throw the sand into it and utilize the beauty of Hayward products :)

I should have just went this route to begin with, got the 1 year warranty from Hayward, and if it has any issues just contact them. oh btw the guy said on the 'newer' filter, he would have to get some parts for it. so I am so done with him.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok new filter came in yesterday, talk about quick service, estimated delivery date was next week. I am going to start plumbing it in the next couple of days and get this thing running. was a little bit bigger than what I expected, but this is a great thing. Which means my surface area in the filter will keep me from having to do backwashes for my pool..

Thanks TFP for the help.

:)

Greetings again to my friends of TFP. Just installed the S244 and wow, what a difference. after loading her up with the 300# of sand, and doing the 2 minute rinse, she is as clear as can be and filtering now. 'Clean' pressure is 12psi so when I hit 22psi time to backwash. Now I am wondering why I didn't get one last year. Thanks to everyone here at TFP for helping. I will post pictures this weekend.

Yes I couldn't wait to hook this bad-boy up! glad i did.

Regards and happy pool season to all

Dave

:cheers::cheers::swim::swim::swim::swim::swim::swim::swim:

Hold on there big fella .... ;)

We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Waiting for 10 psi rise is WAY too long.
So, you should be cleaning around 15 psi.
:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.