Calcium Scaling?

abrink

Mar 16, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have a spa that overflows a rock wall ledge into the pool. In the mortar between the rocks I am noticing what appears to be white calcium scaling? Scrubbing with stainless brush removes a small bit. (very hard scrubbing.)

Whats the best way to remove/prevent this?

Current Test Results:
PH=7.8 (Added 12 oz of acid to drop this to 7.5ish)
TC=5.5
CC=0
CH=300
TA=80
CYA=40

If it shows up where water is spilling over ... there is really nothing you can do to stop it. As the area gets wet and then the water evaporates, it leaves the minerals behind. You can try a diluted solution of muriatic acid and more scrubbing (wear appropriate safety gear ... gloves, goggles, etc).

abrink said:
...it's hard but glossy looking. Reminds me of stalagmites in caves.
Sounds like it could be efflorescence. It is caused by soluble salts and other water-dispersed materials come to the surface of concrete and mortars. While it is an eyesore, the good news is that it is rarely a structural concern. It can be removed with old-fashioned elbow grease using tools like scrapers and steel brushes. Some muriatic acid will speed the removal up a bit, but you will still get a workout. As far as preventing it, the best bet is a masonry sealer. This will need to be applied when the surface is completely dry and the coating will require drying time above and beyond that. Plus, the coating may need to be reapplied periodically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.