The value of using OTO with dilution?

Personally, I think one can readily say both things: 1) order a proper test kit immediately and 2) in the meantime use an inexpensive OTO kit (especially if they already have one) with dilution to get a rough idea to keep the FC at shock levels until the proper test kit arrives. I don't see any problem saying both and, if necessary, reiterating the point about the proper test kit and how approximate the OTO results will be. If the situation isn't an emergency (i.e. needing shocking right away because there's a pending or current algae bloom) then just saying get a proper test kit is fine.

Richard

SeanB said:
No one is saying any such thing. There is a difference of opinion as to the effectiveness of this method, especially at higher dilutions. The recommendation to get a good test kit is a good one.

There has been no suppression of discussion - you are free to post just as you are now. You can preach OTO dilution from the rooftops if that is what you want to do - no one is stopping you. However, as a collective, we simply pay attention to what we recommend on a broad scale and try to balance our replies with what we think is going to help the greatest number of people. Sure, your short term dilemma MIGHT be helped with the dilution method, given you aren't going too far with it and get a somewhat accurate result, but it is a fair argument, that delaying your purchase of a better kit, from any source, is going to delay your long term success. If you had no test kit at all, you MIGHT be better off getting your water tested at the pool store, but you aren't going to see us recommending that as a first choice either.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted this discussion to mean that we don't allow alternative methods. We often have this sort of thread where we discuss, as a group, what methods we think will do the most good. Your input is welcome.

Sean,
In this thread, you'll find this post from one moderator, Waterbear:

Carl, over here at TFP we really don't push testing high chlorine levels with OTO because it's only testing total chlorine and not free chlorine. As you well know it is very possible to have very high CC levels and almost no FC in the pool.

It certainly made me feel like I wasn't supposed to talk about OTO dilution.

and you'll find this one from another moderator, JasonLion:

CarlD - waterbear is quite correct that we tend to discourage the use of OTO with dilution here at TFP, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. There are a few situations where I have recommended OTO with dilution.

I have never argued that OTO dilution is anything more than a 2nd best, emergency solution when you don't have an FAS-DPD kit available. I'm glad to see that you, the owner, aren't going to discourage a well-thought out discussion.

However, if anyone suggests that with OTO dilution you can skip using a proper FAS-DPD test, I'll be happy to help to pile-on to... :hammer:

Those quotes show our thoughts on the matter, but neither were meant to say that others could not discuss the issue. It's just a matter of what we "recommend."

We are starting to find that with some many posts to answer and so many people participating, it's easier to adopt some uniform recommendations; however, we are working to make sure that those are consensus positions that will benefit the greatest number of members. :goodjob: Like a lot of things open to group discussions that are not face to face - this has been made into a bigger deal than it should have been.

SeanB said:
Those quotes show our thoughts on the matter, but neither were meant to say that others could not discuss the issue. It's just a matter of what we "recommend."

I appreciate that, Sean. Thanks.

We are starting to find that with some many posts to answer and so many people participating, it's easier to adopt some uniform recommendations;

Been there, done that! :goodjob:

however, we are working to make sure that those are consensus positions that will benefit the greatest number of members.

Yup. There's a first-line approach, like B-B-B and then there are all kinds of alternatives to meet variant situations and needs. You can't help it--some people will use just bleach, some want a chlorinator, some want an SWG--and some even want to stay with bromine or bacqua-cr**.

Like a lot of things open to group discussions that are not face to face - this has been made into a bigger deal than it should have been.

Hey, I've got a confession--I like to argue (like that's a big secret?? :rant: )

Hey guys,
Enjoyed your little? tread here. In my industry(electric power generation) we have a saying, possibly others use it too "KISS" Keep it simple, stupid!!!
You guys make reading boiler water simple numbers look easy. And while I have followed most of your advise, to get from green swamp to clear shinny water, I just tried to keep it simple. lots of CL. Run the Filter and oto test, the "yep its high, over 5ppm" method.(just a joke) I use test strips and drops, and a PH meter. my wife thinks I'm a mad chemist.
I was bringing the water to my local pool rip off place and the TC was 14, FC was 10, and they would say thats a lot of CL, you need to bring that down. they would say use shock instead of CL. So I look at the MSDS sheet for the Shock at 5.33% they sell and its Hypo and salt water, CL in my book. I just kept adding 4gals every night till the water started to clear. 2 gals after that and when I could see the bottom, stopped. Tested till I couldn't see the colors anymore.
I did read one of the posts that said you need time, And I couldn't agree more. You need to look at the week your going to open and plan to do nothing else but tend to the pool. I Started on one of my weekends off on a Friday night, poured CL, Baking soda, vacuumed 2x a day, cleaned filters, skimmers, monday came and I was close but not clear or clean and had to go to work nights. Well life gets in the way and a week later, Right back where I started. POPP is right on.

I have found education in any form can't be forced into the ears, its kind of spoon fed when the person is ready to learn. Panic tends to make poeple not listen, But thats why they show up here
The "OK, calm down and lets talk, this may take a little time." method may work a lot better than
the condition red, buy 40 gals and start pouring.
This really doesn't have to be brain surgery. :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.