Chlorine + UV Filter?

Feb 6, 2014
Leander, TX
Howdy all. I'm new here, still, and am STILL not comfortable with my setup. I have a chlorine pool (23k gal) with an additional UV filter. I'm just starting to get in to the pool school stuff and want to know what effects the UV filter has on the greater chemistry in terms of rates/ratios/etc regarding chlorine.

Any suggestions/tips are appreciated...if the UV thingy even matters in the chemical figures.

Thanks!

UV does hardly anything in an outdoor residential pool, none of the target levels are affected at all. The main point of a UV system is to break down CC more quickly than chlorine alone can do so. But in a residential pool chlorine normally breaks down any CC more than quickly enough. The only time there is really anything for the UV light to do is when you have a large pool party, which will cause CC to build up more quickly. Then a UV light can clean things up quickly, while chlorine alone often takes an extra day to recover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.