high wind pool cover options

Nov 11, 2012
Illinois
Hey all,

Well my pool cover just blew off yet again, even though I had bleach bottles with water tied about every 4 feet. We are in an extremely high wind area and I am now under the impression that there is nothing that can keep on our pool cover in our extreme winds.

With that being said, what are my options for another cover type? Mesh? My concern there is that will it keep the sun out? My main concern is not leaves, but sun eating the chlorine.

Is it possible to just go with no cover?

Thanks!

Thanks so much, I didn't know something like that existed.

It looks heavy duty... the biggest one they have is 33', and my pool is 30', think that is long enough?

Also, most of the pictures looks like the pool has a smooth outside wall. I have posts that stick out quite a lot from the wall, every few feet. A plastic lip also sticks out at the top, and under that lip its not directly connected to the pool between the posts, so air flows under the lip and can get under the cover. Think that will be an issue?

The sand/water tube around the outside seems like it would be enough weight (although I also though a bleach bottle every 4 feet would be enough weight), but I still worry about the air getting under the cover. Its like my pool outside wall was specifically designed to get wind under the cover :/

Thanks all!

So I took a picture of the pool only to realize that I was wrong about the wind being able to get in under the plastic. When I looked earlier, the ice was pushing up the plastic on the sides of the pool (see my other post), this was causing a gap so wind could get under the plastic.

Looking today, with no ice, the plastic sits flush with the top of the pool, so very little air could get in under there.

Thanks for the cover suggestion! I think it should work well, and I'll give it a try in the fall!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.