Tank Body Hairline Crack

abrink

Mar 16, 2014
Orlando, FL
I've identified my pump as a "Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II Pump, High Head, EE, Full Rated, 2 HP, 115/230v (P4E6G-189L)" (http://www.poolplaza.com/P-STA-10-402-P.html)

I have 2 hairline cracks in the "Tank Body" which can be replaced for $153.24. The hairline cracks are leaking minuscule amounts of water, so I'm not sure if I need to worry about this yet?
The hairline cracks are near the top of the tank body, near each side of the output connection.

My Challenger pump housing developed a crack a couple of summers ago. Attempts to seal it from the outside failed. I was finally able to stop the leak from the inside. I sanded the crack area to bare fiberglass and then covered it with a strip of fiberglass cloth saturated with JB Weld epoxy and smoothed it out and let it cure. It hasn't leaked a drop since. :)

The original crack that I spoke about above is getting worse, now I have a small solid stream of water shooting out! Going to have to do something sooner or later now.

Questions:
1 - Do I need a 2HP Pump, what can I read to help determine if I should get Variable Speed vs single speed. I'm not sure I have any of the features that might benefit from a variable speed?

2 - I'm eventually going to be getting solar heating, so please keep that in mind. What are some good pump options?

3 - If I do get a new pump, is installing it a DIY job?

4 - Should I get a new pump, or replace the broken part for $200. The pump is very old, so I'd hate to throw good money at bad.

1. I see no need for anything close to a 2HP pump. I would suggest a smaller 1HP 2-speed pump (like the Superflo).

2. I run solar with my 1HP Superflo (How big of an array and how high will it be?)

3. Depends on your comfort with PVC and electricity. It is not hard, but there is a learning curve.

4. Getting a smaller 2-speed will allow you to save money on electricity for the life of the new pump.

The pump I mentioned came with a manual switch on it. You would run the pump on low speed for general filtration and manually select high speed for vacuuming or backwashing etc.

On low they move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the power cost ... so even doubling the run time on low is a 50% electrical savings.

Alternatively you can add a timer to automatically switch speeds everyday, but that is not usually needed.

1. I replaced my functional 2hp pentair whisper pro with intelliflo vs and did not look back. I run mine 24/7 at 1450 rpm (200 Watts).
2. It depends how tall the solar system will be mounted from the pump. A low speed in two speed pump may not provide enough flow. In order to retain the heat, it is best to use solar cover at night. Considering the upfront equipment cost and additional power cost (higher pump speed), solar system may not always be a good choice. A simple solar cover may be a more cost effective solution.
3. Getting a new pump with the same layout will be an easy diy job. For example, pentair whisper pro and intelliflo have the dame wet end.
4 i would get a whole new pump and use the leaky one as backup

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. I replaced my functional 2hp pentair whisper pro with intelliflo vs and did not look back. I run mine 24/7 at 1450 rpm (200 Watts).
This is a waste of money. First the Intelliflo is most efficient around 1000rpm, so try that and save more. Second, usually 4-6 hours is plenty of run time even at that low speed, easiest way to save money is to not run the pump.

2. It depends how tall the solar system will be mounted from the pump. A low speed in two speed pump may not provide enough flow.
Solar heating is most efficient at higher flow rates. Usually you will not want to run solar on low speeds. My automation only runs the solar on high and when solar is not needed it runs on low.

3. Getting a new pump with the same layout will be an easy diy job. For example, pentair whisper pro and intelliflo have the dame wet end.
Except those pumps use a screw in fitting and not unions, so there is still pipe work that needs to be done. The Superflo uses union fittings on the pump so it is easy to remove if required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.