Does water normally seep thru a gunite shell?

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
My PB just installed pebble sheen (remodel) and I am almost done refilling the pool. My pool is a gunite structure built above ground, so all the walls are exposed. This is a 25 year old pool. I notice the base of the structure is a little damp to the touch. However, in the wall below the pool light, water actually seeps through like sweating. I don't know how water tight a gunite structure should be... Is it normal?

Thanks,

Scott

Gunite is not water proof, and water can seep through. However, pool plaster is water proof, and water should not get through.

It sounds like you might have a leak. Alternatively, the water is coming from somewhere other than the inside of the pool. The water at the bottom could easily be ground water, but the water seeping through below the light sounds like a leak.

I agree with Jason that it does sound like a leak but I must point out one thing. Plaster does not make a pool 100% waterproof. An example of that is on a infinity pool the wall itself must be waterproofed to prevent wicking of water going from the wet side to the dry side. Over time this can create a problem. Because you have a raised beam, I would have had them waterproof the shell.

Unfortunately, neither the gunite or the plaster are waterproof, they both allow water to transfer out from the pool and in from the ground. There are waterproofing products you can spray on the outside of the pool which will penetrate in and basically waterproof the entire shell for you. I see that this post is about a year old so hopefully your issue has been resolved.

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.