Paver Deck Install - Before or after pool is completed?

3guys

Sep 27, 2007
We are currently having a gunite pool built. The project has not been well run. It has actually been much tougher than we expected. Right now, the coping and tile is being installed. After that, we just need the final hookup done for the plumbing and electric and then hydrazzo. We have contracted with the PB to have paver decking installed and we also need some retaining walls. Our PB is having some scheduling issues with his paver contractors. We were thinking about asking him to finish the pool and then do the grading and paver work after the pool is completed and filled. The PB spread out the fill from the dig over the area where the decking will go. The paver contractor wants to remove the fill to get back to the original grade and then add gravel to build it back up.

We want to make sure we don't create any issues requesting this approach and we are newbies to all of this. What are the pros/cons to doing the final grading and pavers before the pool is complete compared to after?

Thanks for your help!

Do you mean just standard pavers? No mortar etc. involved?

If that is the case, you can do it pretty much at any time. Given your poor experience with the PB, you might be better off waiting till the pool is filled and working though, since removing pavers can be a pain if the plumbing is messed up or something, but at least it is easier then a poured deck :)

Not sure if you're the same person that posted a similar question on Gardenweb, but here is the response I posted over there:

I would recommend waiting until the grading is done and the decking is in before you install the pool finish and fill it up. The main reason is if you finish and fill the pool and then do a bunch of grading work, you're going to have a miserable time trying to keep the pool clean and the chemicals balanced and you may even end up with a damaged finish. Get all the heavy work done and then they can do a proper cleaning of the pool before installing the finish and you'll have a lot less to worry about!

I think you need to remove all that fill material and get back down to virgin undisturbed soil or you will be dealing with settling issues for the pavers in as little as a year or two. I would get the grading and soil removal done, wall installed, paver base material installed and then tackle the paver deck and pool finish.

We are going to do exactly what Mark C recommended. Our PB did not want to bring it back to virgin soil and everyone else we spoke to so far says that is a must. So that is step 1 before we do anything else.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.