Jan 30, 2014
Perth, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,

So the weather is changing here downunder we're heading towards winter. The days are cooler, less sun, and the pool hardly get used.

During summer, I used to run the SWG for 7 hours at 50% and that resulted with FC of 4.5 ppm.

I have reduced SWG runtime to 6 hours (which means 1.9 ppm of FC generated daily) and my FC keeps rising by the day. I didn't complete the test but I've managed to reach 11 ppm and the solution colour was still strong (using the Taylor kit).

Does it make sense that I will need to drop my SWG run time to say 4 or even 3 hours during winter? Or alternatively, keep it at 6 hours but lower production at say 25%? This will make only 1 ppm of FC daily, should I aim for less or more? I guess that depends on FC consumption but how can I predict that considering the pool has very limited use?

Thanks!

You will need to reduce the SWG's output and it is up to you on how to do it. Both ways work fine, reducing % and/or reducing the pump run time. If you want to save some $ on your electric bill, reduce the pump run time. Each pool is different, but during the winter I run mine for 4 hours,mostly on low-speed, and have to reduce the % to 20-25% and the pool stays clean and chlorinated. You will need to experiment on what is best for your pool, just keep an eye on the FC and adjust accordingly.

Here on the other side of the Earth, my chlorine demand has been rising fast this last week. The days are getting rapidly longer, the sun is coming higher over the trees and the trees are dropping lots of stuff in the pool. I'm still below peak summer levels, but getting close fast.

Right, water temperature is the largest factor, followed by number of people swimming (which is probably nobody right now).

Just to be through, the FC level you are trying to maintain is the same as always. It is the amount of chlorine required to maintain that level that goes down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.