Dual Actuator - did i mix them up

jonvdb

Mar 26, 2014
Cupertino
I removed both the pool and spa valve electric actuators. I needed to replace some parts, re-assembled them, and now my pool and spa control panel choices (the normal 4: Pool, Sap, Fill, Drain) are out of sync with the movement of the valves. Could i have inadvertently switched the actuators. e.g. the one for the spa i put on the pool valve and vice-versa? I didn't think it mattered, but can't seem to re-syhnc things, so perhaps i just did a whoops. Any help would be great. All 4 of my valve options i can work, i am just mentally mapping them. So SPA Fill = Drain, SPA Drain = Fill, Spa = Pool, and Pool = Spa. Any thoughts about the actuators would be greatly appreciated

A few possibilites here.

1- the actuators have them same internal cam setting and you just got them flipped. Jason's solution above will fix this.
2- the actuators have different cam settings internally - Neitor solution abouve will fix it, you need to swap them back or change the internal cam setting
3- during reassembly the internal cam setting got monkeyed up. - you need to open them back up and get the internal cam setting to what it should be and subsequently set the reversal switch correctly.

What brand is your equipment? (filling out your sig line is a big help here)

If you did switch the valve actuators, flipping the switch wont fix it. You either need to remove the actuators and switch them back or open the panel and switch where the actuators plug into the board.
Ah good point. I made some pretty big assumptions: that the wires were also removed and plugged back into the correct spot and that the cams were set to the same amount of rotation.

I made some pretty big assumptions.

Me too!
Let me (try to) clarify this as all our replys could appear to be contradicting themselves. They did to me, but that's a different deficit.

If the parts you were replacing required you to disassemble the stem, like if you were replacing gears, then yes you may have gotten the cams out of position when you reassembled. Quick way to check this.

When the valves rotate now, are they stopping squarely on the ports or at the same positions they used to, when rotating to that spot (we know they are out of sync). If yes, then refer to post #3 (mine).
Or do they stop at positions that they never have before? If yes, then refer to post # 4 and re adjust.

The reason you cant just flip the switch and must swap the actuators back is because:

When you are in service and hit the "Spa drain" button, from having it in "Pool", only the suction side actuator should rotate (the one nearest, or in front of the pump) from pool to spa. When you hit the "Spa fill" button from having it in "Pool", the return actuator (the other one) will be the only one to rotate from pool to spa.

Does any of this make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.