1" - 1-1/2" - 2" foam bottom for AG pool

gwc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2014
Thomson GA
What thickness should the foam sheets be for an AG pool. I was thinking about using 1" foam sheets so I would have an additional 1" of water depth. I am installing a unibead (J hook) liner. The pool wall is 54". Will the liner stretch the additional 1" when it is filled? Recommendations and thoughts please.

Thanks
Gerry

um, theoretically you would have LESS water, not more. but I don't think it would be significant in reality. for me personally, I found the thick foam to be a little strange and would probably use a simple gorilla pad next time, at least with an intex on dirt. I notice also that dirt and small "stuff" is wedging down between the bottom of the pool and the tarp/top of the foam. with a walled AG pool and cove, that shouldn't be an issue.

um, theoretically you would have LESS water, not more. but I don't think it would be significant in reality. for me personally, I found the thick foam to be a little strange and would probably use a simple gorilla pad next time, at least with an intex on dirt. I notice also that dirt and small "stuff" is wedging down between the bottom of the pool and the tarp/top of the foam. with a walled AG pool and cove, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Pv2.

When I asked the question about the thickness of the foam floor it was because I was concerned that the liner would not fit if I did not put in the full 2" base - the same thickness as the sand base. But after much needless worry I could have used 1/2" foam without any problem or even a 1/4" bottom. I used the Gladon foam cove and it was a dream. The transition from the bottom to the sides is very uniform and smooth. I got this one because it's dimensions of 4"H x 4"W x 48"L was larger than some of the cove pieces I found when I was researching. Several companies listed the dimensions of their product as 2"H x 2"W x 48"L. It was self stick and it worked wonderfully. I taped each joint on the cove and also taped between the foam bottom and the cove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.