Questions on Shocking

Mar 11, 2008
Hello everyone, new to this board. I had a quick question on shocking? I converted to the BBB method this summer and love it!!!!!! I have a 24 foot above ground aprx 10,000 gallons.. I have noticed over the last couple weeks that my cc have gone up to around .5 ppm. my free chlorine is around 3.5, and my cya is around 30. according to most people to bring the cc down to zero, you want to reach breakpoint, which is most easiest by bringing the fc up to 10-12 times the cc level, Which for me is around 5-6 ppm. If my fc is 3.5 ppm to start, does this mean when I shock I only need to raise my chlorine level 1.5-2.5 ppm? Or do I raise it to the shock level according to the best guess chart which is 12-15 ppm. I have no other problems with the water. What would you do? raise it the the max shock level? or just raise it enough to reach break point which is around 6ppm? Any help would be great, as I seem to have the BBB method down pat, but confused on the shocking levels, thanks much, Pete

yankeeslover said:
Hello everyone, new to this board. I had a quick question on shocking? I converted to the BBB method this summer and love it!!!!!! I have a 24 foot above ground aprx 10,000 gallons.. I have noticed over the last couple weeks that my cc have gone up to around .5 ppm. my free chlorine is around 3.5, and my cya is around 30. according to most people to bring the cc down to zero, you want to reach breakpoint, which is most easiest by bringing the fc up to 10-12 times the cc level, Which for me is around 5-6 ppm. If my fc is 3.5 ppm to start, does this mean when I shock I only need to raise my chlorine level 1.5-2.5 ppm? Or do I raise it to the shock level according to the best guess chart which is 12-15 ppm. I have no other problems with the water. What would you do? raise it the the max shock level? or just raise it enough to reach break point which is around 6ppm? Any help would be great, as I seem to have the BBB method down pat, but confused on the shocking levels, thanks much, Pete
This chart should help you with how high to get your FC for shocking:
category/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
In your case you want the FC at about 14 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.