Newbie Here and I have a question

Jun 29, 2008
Hi. I have decided that I would like to start using the BBB method for my pool. Here’s the stats of the pool:

inground vinyl lined 16x32, 77,000 litres (approx. 20,500 gallons)
1.5 hp sand filter
automatic puck chlorinator

Went to the pool store the other day to have the water chemistry checked….

Sanitizer total = 0
Free = 0
pH = 7.5
T.A = 90
Adj. T.A. = 90
C.H. 120
Optimizer = 0
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
Manganese = 0
Algae = None
Clarity = clear

I was told at the pool store to add 3 bags of shock (0.92 kgs) , followed by 6 kgs. of chemical to boost calcium hardness and (this one doesn’t seem right to me) 8 kgs. (which is about 17 lbs. :shock: of chemical to raise TA. Does this sound right? Does this mean I would need to add 17 lbs. of A&H soda?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

I wanted to post quickly to stop you from adding anything! hehehehe

this conversion stuff is going to confuse me. Be sure to verify your dosages according to the pool calculator.

Your PH and TA are fine.

Your CH is a tad low, shoot for 150.

What is your CYA? The fact that you are using a puck chlorinator (ick) will add CYA and you need to know that as CYA and Chlorine are directly connected....see the links in my sig. The pool store tested for everything under the sun except for CYA? Typical.

Or "Optimizer" their code word for CYA?.....hmmm.

BTW, Where ya from?

You are in the right place all will be well shortly.

The main priority now is for you to get some bleach in there pronto, but you need to know your CYA so you reach appropriate target levels.

Hope this helps! :-D

frustratedpoolmom said:
What is your CYA? The fact that you are using a puck chlorinator (ick) will add CYA and you need to know that as CYA and Chlorine are directly connected....see the links in my sig. The pool store tested for everything under the sun except for CYA? Typical.

Or "Optimizer" their code word for CYA?.....hmmm.
Optimizer is Bioguard's brand of borates. Not surprising that they didn't test for CYA since this is obviously a Bioguard dealer and their parent company's (Chemtura) stance is that CYA does not matter that much! :shock: This is true of ALL the Chemtura companies (Bioguard, Guardex, Sun, Omni, Pooltime, and Aquachem) btw!
IF they are using the ALEX testing method (strips and a reader) I would find the readings suspect since this system is designed to sell chemicals!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.