Good morning, I have a question, why is it so hard to decide on steps on an above ground pool? Just when you think you have found one that might work for you then you read a bad review . Is there a good way to decide on steps, they either float , promote algae, etc I just want a set of steps that are sturdy and will stay put, any help?

"Floating" can be handled by pvc pipe filled with sand/concrete and capped off or the "arms" that some come with bolted to the decking surface (wood) or both. Algae promotion due to lack of circulation can be helped by drilling several more 1 inch holes in both sides of the step. I would suggest wedding cake steps with a handrail at least on one side.

I have the Confer-Curve Steps mentioned above. They work extremely well and i couldn't be happier. I got this step due to the length of each step. My daughter is not quite tall enough for the depth of our pool and she has a number of friends who are shorter as well. These steps work well as the kids can share a step and not be crowded which can lead to pushing. The treads in the steps were used as handrails by some of the kids as they floated. These steps did float, even after a drilled some larger holes to get some additional water in them to help keep them down. I couple of PVC tubes filled with sand solved the problem and they stayed put all summer. My pool is round and I have two returns so the water circulates well - had no issues with the algae growth.

I just know there have been a few posts about folks not being happy with the so-called "Mighty Step". Seems to be pretty flimsy.

I have the Mighty Step and I've owned the Wedding Cake Steps and I'll give my review really quick...

The Wedding Cake Steps, although very roomy for growing young kids to play with, floated. I had to use a rope to actually secure the steps with weights to a post under the deck. These steps also rubbed my liner bare. The steps were also a breeding ground for algae. Now unless you wanted to detach the steps from the deck and the whole 9 yards to clean out behind them every week or so, be my guest. I will give the wedding cake steps a 6 out of 10 for functionality only because they were great for lil swimmers to play on.

The Mighty Steps are not flimsy IMO. They were a lil tough to put together by myself and they need weighted down. Don't they all?!!! Really... it's plastic in a big bowl of water... it's going to float! They came with little feet on the bottom and the sides are slatted so water rushes through via circulation from pump/filter. Not one time did I have an issue with algae build up with these steps. I bought the 38" wide steps so that someone could sit on the steps and someone could get into the pool at the same time if needed. My granddaughter could also play on the first couple steps while being attended too, the same as the Wedding Cake Steps except that the Wedding Cake Steps get bigger as you get deeper. I would give the Mighty Steps an 8 out of 10 due to algae not growing under them, the kids can still play on them and they are nice to sit on and relax and another person can still use them to enter and exit the pool. I hope to be able to attach them to a deck soon and that is why I didn't give them a 10 yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had the wedding cake steps and the confer-type steps. We had the wedding cake steps at our previous home where we had a 24 foot round metal wall pool in a deck. They tended to float, so we piled three plastic bags of play sand inside and it did a fine job of holding them in place. At that time, we had five grandchildren younger than 5 years old, so it was nice to have a place for them to sit when entering and exiting to the deck. BUT THEY WERE AWFUL TO CLEAN. We now have steps more like the confer brand with an added safety feature that allows the steps to swing up and make the pool accessible. This works well at our new home, where we have a 24 foot Intex (who knew a cheap pool could be so good!) and no surrounding deck. AND THE STAIRS NEVER, EVER get algae. Both styles were appropriate for the ages of our grandkids. If you don't need seating, I wouldn't recommend the wedding cake style. Just my two cents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.