Another possibility is rainwater which will dilute the pool water with calcium-free water, although it would take a good amount of rainfall to lower the CH dramatically. A passing shower will have little effect. Considering the dramatic drop from 300+ to 200, it could be a combination of rainfall and one or more of the factors mentioned above.

A follow-up question...How much time elapsed from the CH test of 300+ to the current result of 200?

I also came here for this question as mine is dropping, though not so dramatically. Just my 2 cents and I see this post is old:

Typically, taps on the outside of the house are not supplied from water softener treated water. The lines to the bibs come from the water source before it reaches the softener as it's not good for lawn and garden. So you should be able to rule that out.

As mentioned above, Rain will effect as will splash-out (resulting in lower Calcium top off - as mentioned, test your tap). I was very surprised to find that my fill water (from the tap) is only 50ppm CH (and I'm in Austin - I thought we had really hard water). Mine dropped from 140 to 120 in just a couple days due to rain (but that was a couple inches of rain).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.