New DE filter install

Nov 18, 2013
My current filter is an old Atlas pa-48, leaking, rusted, and the grids are busted. I've decided to replace it and I'm thinking of a Hayward 48sq ft DE filter.

My question is this - I've been quoted anywhere from 12-1500 for replacement plus labor... I can get the filter for about $700... Is the install something that could be done myself? I'm pretty self-sufficient in terms of DIY. I've read through the instructions for the model I'm looking at and they seem pretty straightforward, just a bit intimidating with all the mentions of explosive pressure buil-up and what-not.

If you have any PVC experience (or even if you do not), plumbing in a new filter is not that difficult. That explosive pressure bit is pretty overstated. If you put the band on correctly (which you will have to do every time you open up the filter for a good cleaning), then there is no danger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.