PoolPilot Digital indicates too low salt level

Jun 13, 2013
Hi,
My Autopilot PoolPilot Digital indications are wrong and the system shuts down.
I have a confirmed (by four consequtive tests and the water even tastes salty) 4.0 g/l salt, but the system indicates 1.5 only.
This shuts down the chlorine generation and gives me a message to add salt.
After a complete shut down (power off for more than five minutes), the salt indication comes back online with the correct number, but during the following four to five display cycles, the indicated salt level drops and ends up on constant 1.5 g/l, which as said shuts down the generation.
The cable to the trisensor is testing OK, the connector plugs in both ends have been cleaned numerous times, the flow and temp indications are correct. The salt sensor blades are intact, however coated with a black surface layer of some kind. Guess that is normal as brass will go black in a saline solution.

Anybody got any ideas what to do next? I am afraid the fault is with the controller itself or?

Thanks, Kurt

I would try cleaning the salt sensor blades with a toothbrush and just a tiny bit of toothpaste. That is a little bit of a long shot but worth being through before you spend a lot on parts replacement.

Also, just to be through, what does the test pool pilot sequence report the salt level as after the unit has shutdown for low salt?

I would try cleaning the salt sensor blades with a toothbrush and just a tiny bit of toothpaste. That is a little bit of a long shot but worth being through before you spend a lot on parts replacement.

Also, just to be through, what does the test pool pilot sequence report the salt level as after the unit has shutdown for low salt?

Thanks for the quick response.
The test pool pilot sequence shows 1.5 g/l after the shut down. I already did clean the blades in a little HCL, but will try the toothpaste thing.

Tried the toothbrush thing - no joy.

The unit is running the normal pump programs,
but with red light flashing and the purifier off warning due to low salt.

Did some more checking - looks like the problem is dependant on the pump running or not,
so here we go again:

Test pool pilot shows "Salt level 1.5g/l", then "Add salt 85 kg".
Actual salt level is confirmed at 4.1 g/l as mentioned earlier.
When entering Maintenance Menu, Calibrate Salt it shows 1.5 g/l.
I am able to increase (calibrate) to 1.9, where the reading freezes.
After that I am not able to change the value either up or down.
The system then completely shuts down (like power off) and restarts showing the startup screen with version number etc.
If outside the pump program periods, the pump stays off as it should and the screen starts the normal information cycle,
showing the salt level to be 4.1 g/l, exactly as I measured it.
And it stays there!
Until I start the pump manually or the pump program starts the pump.
As soon as the pump start running, the salt level indication decreases during four to five display cycles,
from 4.1 to 3.5, then 2.0, then 1.8 and ends up with 1.5, purifier shuts off and the reading in
Test Pool Pilot again shows 1.5 g/l

Does this trigger any ideas?

Thanks
Kurt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.